Posted by request of @CurtisCummings since I brought it up in another thread.
I wanted to roll my own vs. buying, and have a 3D printer so took the challenge as practice designing. NOT an ME by trade. Goals I was after was a) mating up to existing Rockler ‘small tool’ dust hose, which I have routing to a larger diameter hose fitting against the wall behind the machine to my 2HP dust collector for my cabinet saw, b) wanted it off the side of the mount since I thought all the big ones looked like they weighted the Z-axis ‘down’ in front too much (potentially tilting the bit in the YZ plane…I’ve done nothing to improve rigidity of my X rails yet), and c) I was trying for something I didn’t have to remove to change bits, could just loosen and slide down a tad, and then retighten. It’s also more of a ‘fixed’ dust catcher design intended to set at a clearance height above the bit tip vs. having plastic wipes or brushes.
So, the ugly truth:
The top ring is fixed and just there for extra stress relief to the hose fitting in the part below, it screws right into the threaded hole in the router mount and never has to be altered. The bottom assembly has that vertical shaft and similarly pinches to the router mount with a 4mm screw. If I remove the hose I’ve got a split in the round mount for the hose so I can access that hardware easily to loosen and slide down out of the way, to change bits (the router lock button is not blocked) , then return to the desired height and push the hose back on. The shoe itself is printed as 2 pieces, a bottom that’s kind of boat-shaped with the circular bottom aperture, and a lid with the vertical shaft and hose attach point, then I just cut the clear cover out of a piece of waste plastic I had laying around from something else (hence the writing barely visible on it.)
As far as dust catching it actually does really well - even milling foam which as you can imagine is a static-ridden mess, I get no dust. It’s also super lightweight and the expandable hose tension probably has more impact on the actual movement resistance than the shoe does. But it has some definite flaws. Being off to the side, it restricts my travel to the left (but it’s sneaky…if I do ‘homing’ the machine homes Z first so this raises above the rail in most cases…and then crashes into it if I try to drop Z before remembering to scoot over in X for clearance. D’oh! Probably currently costs me 2 - 2.5" usable X axis distance at minimum)
The vertical mount part is also printed totally the wrong way - I should split this off as a separate part and print that flat to the 3D printer so it doesn’t split so easily between layers. It look obscenely glossy in the image because I coated the whole thing with epoxy for a little more strength and it’s still fractured (thanks to hitting the rail of course).
Works for now but preparing another go-around at a unique design. Will likely try to mount to both sides of the router mount as everyone else is doing to center it and get more strength, also so I don’t cost myself X travel. Maybe split the airflow up both sides of the router to one hose fitting pointing backward at the top to keep it all in the front facial ‘footprint’ of the X carriage if I can. Also like that this doesn’t extend below the bit at all so the only cost in Z travel is currently that I didn’t cut the hole in my plastic cover big enough for the collet, although of course the higher this gets relative to the tip the less dust gets taken.
So far I"m out about $0.95 worth of ABS filament, a little electricity, and $2 of epoxy (the 4mm hardware is reusable), plus a fair amount of design time and mental humiliation, so I’m not beating myself up TOO badly. But yeah, not a winner.