How to create this?

Hi
I have created the shape #1 and need to modify the design to create the ridges shown in #2 basically evenly spaced semicircles @4mm diameter.
I can’t work out how to do this - any ideas?
Many thanks

Off the top of my head and without access to easel. I’d start with 2 x 4mm circles set at whatever distance apart is dictated by the overall length of that section. Use the replicator tool to multiply to correct quantity. Check it fits. Zero depth rectangle over the bottom half and combine to give line of semi circles. Drop into position , check again and combine.
I’m sure someone far cleverer will come up with a solution and maybe do it for you but where’s the fun in that!

Are we looking at a side view of a piece or top view?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Ah right thanks for that Richard - it was the zero depth bit I was missing!!

Hi Brandon - its t a side view ie a plank of 20mm pine

Hmm - doesnt seem to work - it cuts through the middle half of the semi circles?

1 Like

finally tried it on easel but on a single circle. try a second circle, 4mm dia. , clear a pocket (assuming first is cut outside path) , zero depth, aligned with first circle/semi circle and it should remove the wee cut through. at some point it’ll all need combined so the trick will be in what order. hope that makes sense

2 Likes

If you are looking to create this from a side perspective then this should work. If you are looking to create a dish-type shape with beads/ half-spheres protruding from the bottom of the dish, we have a completely different scenario to approach.

All you have to do is:

1. Create your first object
  2. Create all of your circles however you want to (the Replicator app is a good choice as suggested).
  3. Space the Circles accordingly
  4. Double-Click your first object and select one of the points where the slope to middle flat part meet and note the Y-Coordinate of that point
  5. Select all of your circles
  6. Select the Center Coordinate indicator
  7. Change the Y-Coordinate and the circles should all move to the desired location
  8. Select initial object along with all of the circles and Combine.

You can then do whatever you want to with the newly created shape.

Here is an example project showing a few of the steps.

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me Brandon - I’ll have a go!

2 Likes

Thanks very much Richard. It sort of works but goes pear shaped on the combine part!
I’ll keep playing around!

1 Like

Combine the first bit. Add the second circle and use lock object rather than combine?

Thanks Brandon - that worked perfectly. Going the extra mile and making a 3 step project explained to so well that I feel daft for not knowing how to do it :slight_smile:
And thanks too Richard - your steps have helped me realise the importance of the order when combining - win win!

1 Like

Always glad to help out where I can! I am glad the process is making more sense to you now.

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.