How to do this?

Yeah, I meant final cut. I run hard maple at 50 in/min at .05" DOC for outline cuts and 55 in/min at .06" DOC for fill cuts. I could run oak fast since it’s not as hard, but I never cut oak so I don’t really know what speed I could use. I get the other speeds I mentioned on softer woods like walnut and cherry.

Ok I was on my way home from work today and was thinking about this post. with your clamp only one side needs to move to remove the work that way you can retain the same placement of each part. you can use center as machine zero just use a small block of a known thickness. say the block is .5in zero to block jog z up .5in remove block jog z down 1in then run the program. some one may have said this or you have it figured out I have not read today’s post

Those $5 17 inch rounds are a great deal, I use them all the time when I need a large glue up even if what I am making is not round.

The 23.75" are $10 so cheep if i mess one up not to much of a loss.

2 Likes

after looking over all the ideas. (good ones I might add)
Here is my take on the clock hold down ad quick setup.
A circle can be cut ahead of time.
The square shape can be made to put the circle in so it fits snug with 5mm of walls on each side.
The center hole is pre-drilled then you use a screw and washer over the hole to lock it down in place.
Once in place the machine is aligned/setup to the edge of the square shape and then the square shape can be removed.
You can then machine the entire thing keeping away from the center washer and screw holding it down. Its very difficult cutting circles that are not perfectly round.
here is one that I did. The crack was from the Jig I attempted to use to hold it down.
This was a pre-cut circle I believe its poplar that was treated with a hardener as a dremel cannot cut this very well.

You could also use dowels like they do for double sided carves. In Easel, Line up a couple .25 holes so they are under the round part of the clock, chuck up a .125 bit and drill the waste board, then flip your piece over and poke the same holes in the back, glue your wood dowels in your work piece , do your cuts, when you are done cut the dowels flush, sand and you are done.

@MikeEllison

hey mike did you make this?

Yes i did. Used wood pre-cut and rounded from Home Depot. $10 each.23.75 "

BTW if your wondering I Burn Lichtenburg Figures into wood using a microwave oven transformer.

oh thats cool I would love to see a video of that lol

I guess I never updated this thread on what I finally figured out lol

here it is

used it about 3 times and ditched it in favor for a laser engraver lol