Image Trace Quality

I’m attempting to use Image Trace in Easel Pro to copy an image to carve.

The image itself is fairly good quality but whenever I use the trace feature it makes the smaller letters just a blog. How do I get the best quality out of this?

MC CLUB 2.bmp (2.5 MB)

Try this one and see how it works for you. The three words have been combined after creation, so each word will move as a group to keep the shape. The second work-piece has the words just by themselves so that you can copy them into another work-piece if you want to play with the rest of the image’s smoothing. Some of it looks a little “pointy” with the default import settings.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Man that is SO much better. How in the world did you do that? I’m assuming another program other than Easel Pro?

Nope, it was all Easel. I simply took the closest font with a single ‘H’ character, scaled it to the correct size, copied it for each letter needed, rotated it accordingly, overlaid each onto their respective counterpart, moved each out of the way, deleted the crappy letters, moved everything back, combined each letter of a word to form a single word, and Bob’s your uncle.

Phew, now that I type it all out it does seem like a lot of work, but it didn’t take too long at all. It is really just tedious work to have to do it that way.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Well I really do appreciate your help on that one! Looks much better than anything I was coming up with.

No problem, my wife was purse-shopping online and did not want to watch anything on TV. I had to entertain myself somehow and what better way than to help someone in need.

Brandon Parker

3 Likes

Haha I know exactly how you feel. At least its a purse. My wife is currently car shopping :sweat_smile:
My biggest issue with image trace is the lack of quality and features that it copies from the image. I need to hone that skill.

Yeah, it can be hit-or-miss, but a lot of it has to do with the original image. Once you get it into Easel, you can always double-click (or just hit the “E” key) on an object to show all of its points. Selecting a single point, you can then move it and/or change the type of radius around the point as well as how the paths to the points on either side are shaped. You can get some pretty good shapes by doing this.

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Ill defiantly have to play around with that setting a bit more.
Next question, Is it possible to invert the bird? I.e the main part of the body flush and the middle/wing tips engraved 1/4"?

https://easel.inventables.com/projects/SPnbbzsvamU4q-ykUg4RBg

Check out the file that I shared again; I updated it to have a third work-piece with what you are after. The bird may not be 100% perfect, but it will be close enough I believe. I also left the depth at 1/8" because 1/4" is pretty deep. Maybe 1/4" for the inside cuts and 1/8" for the outline of the bird?

Brandon Parker