Implementing adaptive clearing strategies on an x-carve

I am trying to implement the Fusion 360 adaptive clearing method using the x-carve and am not sure how to properly evaluate the benefits (speed, tool wear) or to trade off depth of cut and tool engagement/step over limits in order to manage the lateral forces on the z-axis of the machine. For example, if I use as my starting point a 1/8" bit running at 10,000 rpm with a 1 mm doc and a 1/16" step over, but want to increase my doc to 4 mm, what would be the appropriate change in the step over/spindle rpm needed to maintain a constant level of stress on the machine, and how would I evaluate the ultimate benefits of doing so. I understand that I am probably over-simplifying this, but am very interested in any insights anyone might have. Thanks.

1 Like

so basic rule of thumb is that you want to maintain the proper chipload on the tool that you are using

this will change from tool manufacture to tool manufacture but once you find that out you can use a calculator like this to calculate the chip load

Chipload_calculator.xls (15.5 KB)

but be fore warned that the x-carve really can’t achieve the proper chip load on tools over .125" you just can’t push the machine that fast to get them correct.

when you are doing adaptive strategy in Fusion 360 you want to change the optimal load setting which will change the amount of tool engagement that the tool has on each pass increasing the depth of the tool will increase this and actually fusion will calculate this for you in the speeds and feeds tab so you can see that your in range

I am curious on which router that you are using with the x-carve that allows you to go down to 10,000 rpm? I know the dewalt 611 standard on the x-carve has a low setting of 16,000 rpm

Thanks for he reply. I have continued to experiment with this. What I am finding is that the x-carve can’t handle increased cutting depths very well, even if you decrease the stepover to compensate. The gantry just isn’t stiff enough for that, even if you try to stiffen the x-axis per the recommendations of other on the forum.

As for the router I am using, it is a Dewalt 611. I am using the SuperPID ( which I highly endorse) as a speed controller, which allows me to reduce the speed to 10k rpm without any decrease in power.

oh yeah makes sense about the router speed that super pid does work good

and yeah the z-axis is another concern when trying to take a big cut on the x-carve

the deepest cut I have ever been able to take on the x-carve besides foam was around .25" but that was in some flexible luan plywood its super soft

I mean really the x-carve is just not designed to do that you would have to strengthen the

x
y
and
z axis to even think about getting a rigid machine for fast adaptive strategies

I have however used adaptive strategies alot with the x-carve because it is easier on the machine at higher federates and conventional methods

I have been able to run upwards of 200 ipm with the x-carve in hard and soft woods

Wow. That’s impressive. I haven’t gotten there, but plan to keep experimenting.

oh yeah I used to do alot of expirmenting with my x-carve and in the end I decided to buy a different machine becuase you could upgrade the x-carve to meet those demanding requirements

but are you going to have more money in that then if you where to just go buy another machine?

it really all depends on the kinda work that you want to do with your cnc machine

the x-carve will perform great all day long doing certian things but other things will break it in about 5 seconds