Importing Text in DXF

I am trying to make a calibrated gauge with lines and text on it. I have made a drawing in Autocad and converted it to .dxf
When I import it into Easel, the text does not appear.
If I then add the text using the Text app, regardless of which font I use the cutter does not create the text as a single line. Even if I use a font that appears to be a single line character. I am using an engraving bit. 10 deg. sharp point.

I would see if the text can be “exploded”. As a rule I save as dxf Autocad V12 and things generally work.

Hi Martin, thank you for your response. I will test your recommendation and let you know how it goes.

Regards,

John Attwell

Hello Martin,
I did as you suggested except for saving as Autocad 13. It didn’t work. I even tried making a model of the device with Inventor, reverse embossing the text then creating a .dwg drawing and saving as a .dxf. Importing the .DXF into Easel still removed the lettering. It is somewhat frustrating to say the least. Just taking up my time for no result. Short of ‘drawing the characters’ I am at a loss as to what to do next.
Regards,
John Attwell

I’m just brainstorming, but did you select a similar tool and adjust the depth of cut. I’m wondering if it is set too deep. I haven’t done text on Easel, so consider that …

You need a function that will turn your font into lines or paths. I haven’t used autocad in quite a few versions, but it should be something along the lines of exploding and then joining the lines or an option in the export to convert fonts to paths/lines.

As a previous poster said, saving as r12 used to work.

1 Like

Is it a TTF or SHX font? Makes a difference in line conversion capabilities.

It may be a layer issue? Open a new drawing in Acad, Draw the font in a new layer. By itself without any other items in the drawing. You should have a “0” layer and the new one. Do a purge. Use option #2 below. When you import it locate it on the project.

Options:

1. Save it in a 2007-2009 binary drawing (.dxf)

2. (Best option for CNC use) Don’t save it, use the export command and use either .svg - .tif - .stl format. Save it in all 3 to see which gives you the best results with your import.

3. Explode the font (in Acad) and see if it maintains it’s profile but changes to lines. If it goes to another style font (profile) it’s useless.

4. Print it to a pdf - import it into Acad - use the trace feature. The trace will be lines, polylines, or splines. Choose all the lines and make it polylines and join what you can to make continuous lines. Save and export.

5. Hand trace the font with splines, arc’s, and polylines. Sounds hard. but after the first few letters it gets easy.

This is how I figured it out.

1. Pick a Word Font that has thin line characters. Abadi Extra LIght for example.
  2. Type the characters that you want “50” " ABC" etc. as big as possible. eg 72.
  3. Use the Snipping tool, scan at size and save as a .jpg.
  4. Download DOXILLION software. There is a free version available.
  5. Open the .jpg file in Doxillion. and convert it into the file type you require. ie .SVG. There are numerous conversions available.
  6. Import the .svg file into Easel as a separate project.
  7. Copy and Paste the characters you want into the project file with the items to be cnc’d. Manipulate the Character size and position as you need for the project.
  8. Set the cut depth and ‘Cut on Shape Path’.
  9. Hit Carve
  10. Pour yourself a beer.

Took a bit of effort to sort it out but now it works.