Inlay question

I would like to try a few inlay projects. I am having problems finding thin stock. I buy all of my lumber rough cut at 4/4 (1") or thicker. I plane and joint it flat. I don’t have a good way to resaw it and I hate the idea of planing a 1" board down to 1/4". That is the thinnest my planer will go.

What thickness do you guys use for inlays and where do you get it?

I have ordered a bunch of thin stock from here…thicker pieces as well.

http://www.dndhardwoodsonline.com/

2 Likes

Before I got a bandsaw I did all my resawing on the table saw. Frankly, doing it on the table saw scares me. But it can be done safely if you use a fence with a large face and featherboards. Wear a face mask in case the unthinkable happens. Then I achieve final thickness using a carrier board and double stick tape to run it through the thickness planer.

1 Like

Another option: www.ocoochhardwoods.com

I’ve bought pieces from them and they all look good. Here’s the latest shipment I got in for some fidget spinners I want to make:

3 Likes

I did a little bit of digging and Ocooch Hardwoods seems like the way to go AND they are less than 2 hours away!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

1 Like

I just checked them out, and I will be ordering from them now that my machine seems to be re-aligned. Thanks for sharing the link!

I checked with my local Woodcraft first. I was disappointed with their options.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying but if I can do an inlay project for less than $5…I’ll probably go that route.

You’ve gotta cost it all out and think of all aspects.

What is the cost of the equipment to be able to resaw?
What is the labor involved in setting up the equipment to resaw?
What is your actual yield when sawing that thin of wood?
What is the learning curve/experience with resawing with certain pieces of equipment?
How much/often do you need to do it?

For most materials, it’ll usually be cheaper to do it yourself IF you need enough volume of it and/or already have the equipment to do it.

I sell vinyl decals and I hate having to pay a company to take the same role that I can buy and split it in half myself BUT, to do that myself with good results would take a machine that costs like $4500. The yield difference is substantial (a 50 yd 24" roll is like $90, I pay $24 for a 12" 10 yd roll) BUT I don’t do enough volume right now to warrant the cost for the machine purchase plus, the time I’d spend splitting is lost opportunity cost. If I ever got to the necessary volume, it’d make sense. I’ve already paid for two thermal printers for shipping labels and a laser printer just be the savings per label/page.

Of course, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Oh yeah I agree on this, if I had a bandsaw maybe I would do it that way, But for myself time is a serious issue with two jobs. That is how wood like this can be marketed so high. Just like buying milk at a gas station lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try this place. I have bought from them in the past.

1 Like