Inlays in a Tele

I really liked how this turned out. I used the xcarve to cut out a celtic knot design on the back of a Tele. Afterwards I then inlayed some silver wire into the design the xcarve cut with a 1/32 bit. File and sand the wire till level, finish guitar and end up with this.

7 Likes

Looks great!

Where did you buy the silver wire for the inlay?

I have a few wire inlay projects in mind and have been building a list of vendors. So far the best I have found is Jewelry fabrication metals | sheet, wire and casting grain - RioGrande

Sorry I should have been more clear, I just meant silver as in the colour of the wire I chose to use. It’s just steel wire. I’d love to use more precious metals, but more of an investment that is a bit beyond my needs at the moment. Should I go that route, I may have to steal that link from you. I’ve also considered doing this type of thing for a binding, we’ll see if I ever give it a shot. I’d love to be able to do a design from one side that wraps to the other, but I can’t imagine pulling that off with the way I’m doing it now.

1 Like

Well done sir. Well done.

I have tried the solder thing, I didn’t have as much luck as I would have liked, I imagine a better container to melt it in would have helped. That being said, I rather enjoy the inlaying by hand. It’s almost like knitting.

Also, thanks @Zach_Kaplan , there’s a lot of things I wouldn’t be able to do right now without the Inventables team. The X-Carve, the forum, Easel all the other members in this community have really opened up a lot of doors which is incredible.

2 Likes