Inlays using Easel

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone lend some insight on how to do inlays using Easel? If I wanted to cut out an inlay to fill a pocket that was carved how do you tell Easel to cut it say .005 less then the pocket was carved so the inlays easily pop in?

Im a middle school teacher and just purchased a Carvey, at the district high school they have more complex software and machinery and they simple create a pocket toolpath.

Best,
Jeff

1 Like

There is an inlay app within Easel.

Thank you, totally forgot about the apps section… I just loaded it and will give it a try.

Absolutely love when we have teachers in here. Thank you for bringing back “shop class” !!!

1 Like

Hello im trying to do in inlays with sharp corners, is there a way to do them in adobe illustrator or directly in easel?

Any tutorial or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks

@DanielJauregui How about using epoxy?

https://youtu.be/dp8MHbWd3Y0

for sharp corners, use a V-bit.

V-carve is widely used, but if I’m not mistaken Easel Pro supports it too now. There are other free alternatives as well, which I’m sure others can recommend. Personally I use V-carve and I’m very happy with it.

Basically this is what im trying to achieve, Ive used the inlay plugin at .001 tolerance but still some jiggle around. Will love to have sharp corners if posible.

The exact size of the bit is important, too. One way to do this to get it perfect is to

1. Machine the inlay piece first

2. Machine the pocket, but tell Easel the bit is oversized. This will cause Easel to make the pocket undersized.

3. Switch to machining the outline and gradually decrease the bit size. Easel will make the pocket slightly bigger each time you tell it the bit is smaller. This will let you fine tune it to perfect.

1 Like

Thanks not in this case since the numbers are rised

Wiil this technique work wen the insert piece is rised above the other?

Now that you said that the number is actually rised the picture makes a lot more sense because it looked very strange without that knowledge.

It certainly could but it would take some really careful planning. Maybe using a small diameter bit would be the easier option after all for what you are trying to achieve.

Did you buy those number pieces or make them yourself? What material is that?

I agree with @DavidHovis, check the exact diameter of your bit first, they usually are never spot on as advertised. I have a set of 3.1mm ones that are sold both as 1/8" AND 3mm at the same time. :see_no_evil: