Introduction to X-Carve

Hi :slight_smile: what kind of working hours can I expect from the spindle? can it go all day without overheating? thank you

another question:-) how much down ward pressure can the machine operate under?. I wish to use a spring loaded attachment. can the machine maintain a downward pressure of 1-2kgs while operating? thank you

diamond drag perhaps?

What’s diamond drag? :smile:

A diamond drag bit is similar to a small v-bit but has a spring loaded tip on it with a diamond point. I think they are used with the spindle turned off and dragged across a hard surface, usually metal, and it "scratches " a design into that surface.

“No question is a foolish one if it’s asked with genuine curiosity and interest” (unknown)

also used to cut vinyl. i have a vinyl cutter its the same principle anyway.

Thank you I will look into that :smile:

Oh and!! do you happen to know how much downward pressure the machine can operate with? with the assumption that the friction created in the material will not be an issue. Like if the router bit had a wheel on the end, thank you

I’m curious about what materials can be cut/carved with X-Carve. My primary use would be wood, which I see can be cut/carved easily, but I have a need to cut some glass cabinet doors and was wondering if glass could be cut with this machine. Looking at a hardness table, it looks like aluminum is 2.0-2.9, glass is 4.5-6.5 and steel is 6.0. So, glass is likely too hard for X-Carve, but I thought I’d ask. Maybe with the right bit and small steps? Thanks!

Something like this:

I’ve never tried it. I think I read you would need a special bit for glass. Anyone want to give it a try for @MikeDavison1?

I’ve been contemplating this myself. All the previous CNC glass cutting videos I’ve seen have been done with a traditional wheel cutter, similar to a drag knife.

I expect that they chucked the same kind of bit you’d use on a glass grinder. I think I have a precision bit in my glass grinding gear that might work. I’m a little nervous about doing a wet cut on my machine, but I imagine there’s some way I can cordon off a section big enough to do a test cut. I need to write up my projects from this weekend, but I should be able to get to it in the next couple of days or so.

Thanks! There are a number of YouTube videos that show using a traditional wheel (some how). Might be possible to grind/cut glass with a very slow speed, but I too wondered about the cooling water so close to the spindle.

@MikeDavison1 This project is on the docket for the weekend. I picked up some cheap diamond burr bits to try it with:

And once I figure out some sort of MCS (Mess Containment System, pretty sure that’s an industry term ;)) I’ll get something mounted, shoot some video, and let you know.

you might try the “immerse in a tray of water” MCS like they do with carbon fiber… (yep, totally gonna start using “MCS” like it is a thing now)

yeah i saw that somewhere too. the carbon fiber thing. helps with the toxic dust,… unless your like that kinda thing :wink:

1 Like

I will soon be finally be purchasing an x-carve to hopefully start a small business in trophy building. I currently build furniture and use sketchup to draw plans and I have received training years ago on mechanical desktop and auto cad, so I am slightly familiar with drafting. My question is what is a good program to start off with that is user friendly and will provide me the ability of doing the 2.5D trophies and such?
On another note, my desktop is a good way away from my workshop (40’-50’). Is there a way to wirelessly work with the machine or what is the best way to handle this problem? Im pretty sure im not the first person with this problem! lol Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe pick up a cheap used laptop that has wifi? Could probably get one for under $100 and it should be plenty to run the x-carve. That way you can design at your desk then just finish on the laptop?

@TylerNorred the easiest and least expensive tool for making 2.5D trophies is Easel.

Your best bet would be to get a laptop with wifi.

I haven’t seen anyone demonstrate this yet, but chilipeppr is browser based and requires a JSON server to feed commands to the x-carve machine. You might be able to attach a small computer such as raspberry pi, beagle board, etc runing the JSON server to the X-carve (GRBL or Tinyg). Then your Chilipeppr session connects wirelessly to the JSON server. Since the JSON server has a much larger buffer, there would be less chance of the X-carve running out of commands due to poor wireless signal reliability.

The g-code does not go over wireless with Easel.