This showed up online yesterday:
Inventables is hiring an UI Designer in Chicago
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT AT INVENTABLES
The development team plays a critical role at Inventables. In building our Easel platform—free for anyone in the world—our team is rethinking and removing the old obstacles to digital fabrication. Traditionally, computer-aided machining has required specialized knowledge and skills: the ability to operate complex machines, understanding of material science and end mill properties, and mastery of arcane parlance (“pockets” vs. “profiles”) and rules (“climb” vs. “conventional” milling). We believe that everyone has creative ideas, and that through innovative software, we can all design and create beautiful things.
Our UI Designers work as part of our development team and help steer the direction of the product - identifying issues or problems for the team to focus on solving, and taking the lead on creating solutions.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a UI Designer at Inventables you will be responsible for:
- Creating interaction models, screen designs, and UI details. These range from sketches to wireframes to detailed mockups.
- Partnering with design researchers to inform and improve product strategy.
- Implementing designs in HTML & CSS.
- Taking ownership of features and work with developers to ship them.
- If these things sound like fun challenges, and you’d like a chance to impact a growing development team, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Ability to prototype and design in code
- Experience designing human centered digital products
- Experience owning a design project from start to finish
- Strong knowledge of design principles and tools
- Proficient with design software like Adobe creative suite or similar
- Proficient with HTML, CSS, Sass, and familiarity with latest standards
- Strong online portfolio
PERKS & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Brand new computer and tools of your choice (Mac, PC, software)
- Top notch BCBS health insurance provided by employer
- 401(k) program with 4% match
- Options program
- Project and Exploration budgets to keep you creative
- Fast-paced, casual work environment
- Snacks and weekly team lunches
Here are the steps in our interview process. Our hiring team will evaluate your status after each step.
- Application review
- Phone screen
- Design challenge
- Technical evaluation (pair programming at Inventables)
- Career history interview at Inventables
- Lunch with the team