It's Alive

What bit did you use to carve that?

1/8" endmill, 2 flute upcut. This was one of the first things I cut…the flat areas are a bit rough…now that things are really dialed in it would be much smoother.

Cool. If you got the starter set from Inventables, you might try the two-flute straight cut bit. Before working with HDPE I’d only used upcut bits before, and I was surprised at what a difference it made, gave me really clean edges. That sign looks fantastic, that color seems exactly right for the sign as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did get the starter set…but to be honest, they are all still in the little plastic case. I haven’t even looked in there yet…might have to take a peek :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got the dewalt hooked up to the relay as in this post:

Plugged in the shop vac as well, so now my dewalt and shopvac come on when I press go on Chilipeppr. I assume it will work fine with UGS, but haven’t tried it yet.

Here is the link on Amazon for the relay…I know it has been posted before, but just making sure it is here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WV7GMA2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02

1 Like

Had a little fun today. Cleaned up a dxf file scaled it so the slots were 0.125" and cut it out of 1/8" masonite.

7 Likes

That is very cool! Any chance you could post that file?

How would you like it? What software do you use?

I use Vcarve, so a dxf works, or just about any vector file. Or a crv file if you did it in Vcarve.

Thanks

I have the file in 2 layers…you could arrange the parts on one sheet, but I had the masonite cut into chunks already. Mine is setup for a 1.5 mm endmill. I used the screws toolpath to drill holes for screws to hold down the board. I arranged the pieces so the screws toolpath works with both layers. If you cut it out, the slots are snug, I had to use a file on them to enlarge just a bit. You could select everything and scale it up by about 0.05% to loosen the slots a bit. Please post a pic if you cut this.

Enjoy!

Sabre Tooth Tiger.zip (1.3 MB)

7 Likes

I have a lot more files like this, I will be cleaning them up 1 by 1 with Vcarve. I’ll post them after I clean them and cut them.

2 Likes

Thank you! I am work on the Tiger now. Not sure if I have any 1/8 stock, never used it before.

I bought 4’ x 8’ sheets (smooth on both sides) and made tons of these puzzles on my old machine. They are a lot of fun and quick to cut.

Not so sure about quick, I just checked the cut time and Vcarve is telling me an hour per sheet

Nice!

I think this warrants another topic. I wouldn’t mind contributing to it as well. I have plans to also do some “cleaning up” of some of these and would be fine with posting them as SVGs or DXFs. Brachiosaurus and T-Rex are top on my list.

Which spindle? I have the Dewalt, They took about 10 minutes per sheet…and I did 2 passes to make the cuts, 1 pass probably would have been fine.

I have both of those…I can do those next. My wife posted the pics on facebook, now I have to make a t-rex and stegosaurus for her friends, so those will be done tomorrow as well.

Sounds like I am being to conservative with my 1/8 bit

I usually run it at 40 ipm and a DOC of .04 inch

But that is always in hard wood.

My grandson is going to love these!

With my 1.5mm end mill I did 50 ipm and 2 passes. I could have gone faster and done it in 1 pass, 1/8th inch bit should be able to do it faster… If you are using the same material I used, Masonite… Hardboard.

1 Like