It's Alive

Thank you all! I am fortunate, she is my biggest supporter and loves the x-carve and has more ideas then I do!

1 Like

That’s the best. My wife loves my SO2 as well. I need her to get her creative juices flowing though. I can make it, but I seriously lack in the idea department.

2 Likes

Finally picked up some bits to try out my 4mm and 6mm collets. Two tapered ball nose bit. Fresh from Ebay and China.

Missed a step on the X-Axis during a run, went through the steps to figure out what it was and found a pulley screw had come loose and shifted which pushed the belt and it must have been caught by the smooth idler. So now I am testing the belt I bought off of Amazon, glad I had some on hand.

This is the original belt…using the new one from amazon now, I’ll test it out tomorrow…it seems to be fine. Nice smooth motion.

I bought this one, I’ll let you all know how it works out…

I have spare belting, 3 pulleys and everything else I can keep a spare of that might break or wear out.

Just took a close look at the belt you ordered…it is the 9mm wide belt…the X-Carve uses the 6mm belt.

First carve since I swapped out the belt on the X-Axis. The dragon on top is the new one. I need to do a little sanding, but I was pleased. I pushed things a little harder this time:

Both dragons are cut into the same hard maple. The bottom one has some light sanding, the top one has not been touched, just removed the tabs. Not sure what I am going to do with these, but I’m sure I will think of something.
Roughing Pass: 1/4" endmill - 100 IPM - 50 plunge - about 10 minutes
Finishing Pass: 1/16" ballnose - 150 IPM - 75 plunge - 5% stepover - 1 hour

6 Likes

I used my Feed Hold and Cycle Start button for the first time on the Dragon. Halfway through the finishing pass I pressed the feed hold button, turned off the router and had dinner. Came back out to the shop, turned on the router and pressed the Cycle Start button and it picked right back up where I stopped it. Worked beautifully.

4 Likes

Small Christmas tree and stand made from 3/4" MDF. She want 3 of them, this being the largest at about 16" tall.

2 Likes

Here is a quick video of the second tree cut in 3/4" MDF. The video shows a quick clip of the finishing pass being cut with a tapered ballnose bit, 6mm shank, 75mm long, with a 4mm diameter tip running at 140 IPM with a plunge of 75. It doesn’t really get up to full speed until it starts running all the way across the tree.

There is only a very slight curve to the surface of the tree.

Made a mini milk crate out of 1/4" MDF. I still have to clean up, sand and add a 45 degree angle to the back of the sides to glue it up.

6 Likes

Love that mini crate!

1 Like

how about posting the files for the crate?

Gladly, I made them in V-Carve, what program do you use?

If your posting, please post the CRV file also :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is the V-Carve file, It has 2 layers, the side and the base. You will need to cut 4 sides and 1 base. I have tabs set for the holes that go all the way through. I would remove them, too much of a cleanup hassle…just let the little scrap fly :-). There is also nothing in the file that does the 45 degree cut on the back of the side pieces (miter cut) for assembly. I just used my table saw to do the miter on the sides…it was fast. You could flip the sides and use a 90 degree v-bit to cut the miter…too much work…lol

If you make one, please post a picture.

MilkCrate.crv (554 KB)

1 Like

Here is the back of one side showing the miter cut and the base (still need to sand a bit. Please recalculate the toolpaths for your machine, you may not like my settings. I only used a 1/8" downcut bit on this.

1 Like