It's Alive

Sometimes I forget that I have other tools in the shop. Last night I drew a rectangle in Vcarve for the base of a project I am working on. I had saved the gcode, walked into my shop and had started clamping the stock to the wasteboard when it dawned on me that I could cut the base on the table saw in about 30 seconds vs the 10 minutes it would take to mill it.

When you love your hammer, everything looks like a nail.

4 Likes

Here are the 3 trees painted, haven’t finished the bases yet.

2 Likes

The start of a wooden desk calendar…still building it in my head…lol

4 Likes

So far I like what I see. Pretty cool idea.

1 Like

Thanks…what color do you think would look good for the text on the walnut? Only the text will be painted.

First one that jumped to mind is white. In my mind the whole thing is minimal, but that might not be the direction you are going.

Minimal is exactly what I am after…White sounds good. The numbers will be cut in a light wood. Days of the week in something else…still thinking.

1 Like

An inlay in a contrasting timber :smile:

No inlay for this…too many pieces…lol

Will the days be in a similar setup like in a long rectangular prism like the names of the month?

Not really sure… Thinking about cubes.

Cubes for sure, I can’t think of any other way to do it since 1st of the month can be on any of the seven days.

The real design challenge I see is creating a clever way to store the unused month rectangles and day number cubes.

Just had a thought (yes it did hurt a little bit) Since you only need 1 number per cube and you have six beautiful sides, make one side just the plain number, the other 5 sides the number plus an indicator like “Dinner”, “Meeting”, “Vacation” , “Doctor”, whatever …

So many ideas, so little time.

Two cubes? you lost me.

I see the problem, I was thinking about a calendar with the full month laid out (one cube for each day). You are only showing the current date (two cubes, 1 for each digit)

3 Likes

I was thinking get the two cube way…with the cubes on top of the three month sticks, and maybe the day of the week on long pieces on top of the number cubes, then a nice holder they all sit/stack in.

I wonder if it could be done with long heptagonal prisms to show the whole month…

Just found this online…interesting…not sure I like it, but interesting.

3 Likes

this is what I was thinking as far as using the long blocks… hmmm…

1 Like

This what came to my mind when you first mentioned it.

1 Like