It's Alive

I like the holiday tiles that can be substituted.

I think that one is too big for what I am after, it looks nice, but I want something smaller and will sit on a desk. I’ll dig through my wood today and find something nice for the day cubes.

2 Likes

Sunday is the first day of the week or I get all out of whack. I had to deal with a shared calendar at work that for some reason started on Monday and I was constantly discombobulated…

BTW, all you have to do is create a calendar that’s good for 14 years, then it repeats…

1 Like

Ha! For anyone interested, Angus and I had a celestial navigation conversation via PM.

Consider the following from:

http://askville.amazon.com/years-calendar-repeats/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=15689612

Let’s assume you are talking about the Gregorian calendar . . .
. . . then let’s assume you have a web browser, and are able to type stuff in Google. If these assumptions were true, you might run across this interesting article on Wikipedia:

The 400-year cycle of the Gregorian calendar has 146,097 days and hence exactly 20,871 weeks. So, for example, the days of the week in Gregorian 1603 were exactly the same as for 2003. The years that are divisible by 400 begin on a Saturday. In the 400-year cycle, more months begin on a Sunday (and hence have Friday the 13th) than any other day of the week (see above under Week for a more detailed explanation of how this happens). 688 out of every 4800 months (or 172/1200) begin on a Sunday, while only 684 out of every 4800 months (171/1200) begin on each of Saturday and Monday, the least common cases.

A smaller cycle is 28 years (1,461 weeks), provided that there is no dropped leap year in between. Days of the week in years may also repeat after 6, 11, 12, 28 or 40 years. Intervals of 6 and 11 are only possible with common years, while intervals of 28 and 40 are only possible with leap years. An interval of 12 years only occurs with common years when there is a dropped leap year in between.

So there are 14 calendar variations; one for January 1 starting on each different day of the week WITH a leap year, and one for January 1 starting on each different day of the week WITHOUT a leap year. The exact cycle of calendar variations repeats entirely only after every 400 years. As the second paragraph above explains, given certain conditions, repeats may occur more frequently for short intervals, but after a certain number of years, the repeat interval would change because of the way leap years would fall.

1 Like

Ha! @AngusMcleod

That reminds me of how may zip code searches I’ve written over the years where you can’t break up the surface into neat and easy latitude/longitude squares, they all have to be damned trapezoids!

Made the dustshoe from @AlanDavis. Very nice design and works very well! Thank you Alan.

All I had on hand was some craft foam for now for the skirt, but it is doing the trick until it gets replaced.

I had a sheet of 0.25" polypropylene for the top and bottom plates and mount. I epoxied the rare earth magnets in place with Loctite Plastic Epoxy and used Black PVC for the vacuum tube…I used a bungee cord from the ceiling to suspend the shopvac hose.

I tested it by cutting out another mini milk crate from 1/4’ MDF…I was very happy with the results.

4 Likes

Finally picked up a bit that should be able to do some justice to the Aztec Sunstone stl file. I’ll try to make time to cut it this weekend.

Tapered ballnose with a 0.25mm radius.

6 Likes

One of the mini milk crates with a shot of blue paint.

8 Likes

Ha! I see your calendar off to the left. Nice… :sunglasses:

It hasn’t moved far…lol I’ll have time to do something with it soon.

1 Like

Are you saying you can’t “make time to make your calendar”? Hmmm… A very Stephen Hawking kind of paradox… :smirk:

1 Like

Here is my latest cut from today. Cut in 3/4" Pine with 3 bits:

1/4" endmill at 80 IPM, roughing pass 1 hour 58 minutes
2mm radius tapered ballnose 85 IPM with 20% stepover: 56 minutes
0.5mm radius tapered ballnose with 85 IPM 20% stepover: 2 hours 57 minutes

Need to do a little sanding and fuzz removal, the piece is about 12 x 6 inches and will be inset in a door for a small cabinet. The other door will have a similar carving.

11 Likes

What software did you design this in?

I bought the model as an STL file.

Into Easel or Vcarve

The toolpaths were generated in Aspire, but V-Carve will also work. I am pretty sure there are some free programs that will import an STL file as well.

Oh, I just started using Vcarve and am confused on the 3D in Vcarve vs aspire

V-Carve will let you import an STL file and generate the toolpaths for it.

Thanks. Have a great New Year.

1 Like