It's Alive

Started cleaning the fuzz on the first one (on the right) and cut the second one. The wooden border will be removed…trimmed to the edges of the carvings and it will be placed in a shallow pocket on a cabinet door…I will carve a small flourish that will go above these carvings on each door. I hope to have time to make the cabinet this week.

Total carving time for both about 14 hours.

6 Likes

Those came out really nice, did you cut them from poplar?

Juat some cheap pine.

Finally had a chance to work on the cabinet doors again today. Had a bit of chipping in the cheap pine panels…mostly tiny, not very noticible things, but on the right door, top right I have a chip I need to fix before I can finish the doors.

9 Likes

woaaaa !!! awsome job !!!

1 Like

Nice! This is the sort of thing I look forward to doing. I can’t wait to see the finished products.

1 Like

That looks great Eric! Did you design this or purchase it?

1 Like

I purchased the stl files for the inner panels from eBay.

Made another set of dinosaurs yesterday.

10 Likes

Was just thinking of getting the Stegosaurus loaded into Easel and posting it soon.

1 Like

Just cut the velociraptor out myself. Totally goofed on the material thickness so now cutting the slots a little bigger to accommodate and will post soon.

2 Likes

The stegosaurus is a big boy, about 24 inches long once assembled. I like that one. I am cleaning up the brachiosaurus now, it will be cut from two 24" x 24" panels, so it is huge. I think it will be about 38+ inches from nose to tail. I want to cut that one this week if I get some time.

1 Like

wow awsome ! where did you get thoses dino files ?

edit : and how do you make the process ? (easel or other software ?)

I got the DXF files for the dinosaurs from CNCZone years ago. I bring them into Aspire (pretty much anything that can edit vectors would work) to clean up, close the vectors, make the slots all the same size for the material I am using (1/8") and arrange the pieces so I get the most in as small a space as possible.

@RaphaelPascual you can cut them using Easel as well… I’ve made them available here:

Dinosaur and other animal skeletons!

1 Like

yay !!! Thank so mush for this sharing !

1 Like

I seem to have a bug problem…butterfly and stag beetle cut from 1/8" masonite (hardboard…whatever you want to call it :smile: )

I’ll post the files after I clean them up a bit, much like the dinosaurs, I have a bunch of these also.

9 Likes

The butterfly is great!

1 Like

Very nice!!

These could definitely go onto the Easel post!

I also don’t mind helping clean these up as well if you want to message me some of the “dirty” ones.

1 Like