It's Alive

I plan to be making some boxes in the near future, lithophane cases and others, and I wanted to use box joints. I also wanted to use the X-Carve to cut them. Did a little surfing and found this program:

FingerMaker

http://www.tailmaker.net/box-joints.html

It appeared to be just what I was looking for. I downloaded the demo checked it out and bought the program. This is my first cut with the program, I still need to clean it up a bit. I was very conservative with speeds on this so I went at 45 IPM and used a 1/8" ballnose. This box is 3 inches square and cut from 1/4" cherry. It took just under an hour to cut all 4 pieces (I will bump up the speed on the next one I cut). Once I clean up the cuts with a little sandpaper I think it will be a perfect fit. I also used the settings in the program to cut a groove for a top and bottom to close it up.

First side cut and starting to cut the second.

All four pieces just pressed together. Once I do a little cleanup, It should be a perfect fit.

9 Likes

Second try at using the FingerMaker program. This one was done a little differently. I used 0.5" hard maple for this one, it is my test for a lithophane display box. I used fairly simply joints and I decided not to cut the top and bottom free with the CNC, I didn’t want the maple to go flying. After cutting the joints and the groove for the lithophane I split the pieces apart with the table saw. The joint is tight…this pictures below are just pressed together. Once I hit it with some sandpaper the joints should be perfect and the 1/4" lithophane fits perfectly in the slot.

All four sides cut…

Cut apart with table saw…

Test fit with lithophane in place…

11 Likes

Glueing up the box…

6 Likes

In case anyone is looking for wood, I bought some 4" x 24" x 1/2" boards from here: http://ocoochhardwoods.com/

I bought walnut, cherry and purpleheart they arrived today and seem to be nice pieces of wood. I’ll be cutting them soon.

3 Likes

I needed a place to put all of my paints and brushes and finishing things, so I designed this shelf and cut it out of 1/4" MDF. The dimensions are 12.5" high x 24" wide and 10" deep. It is just cut, now I have to assemble, glue and seal/paint.

8 Likes

Nice. Did you design this in VCarve?
What did you do to generate all the joinery?

Designed in Aspire (for this, same as v-carve)…I did all of the tabs and slots manually and added the dogbones one at a time. Not really that bad, it went very quickly.

1 Like

@ErikJenkins What version of windows are you running? I see that Tailmaker is for 32 bit systems only. Running in compatibility mode?

I’m running windows 10, 64 bit and tailmaker runs fine, I didn’t have to do anything but click the icon.

1 Like

If you use TailMaker, one thing to be aware of…the way it cuts out the pieces will set it free early in the cut unless you use something to hold the piece down, I had to use 2 sided tape to hole the pieces down.

Here is the spot for the shelf before and after I put it in place. Much better, but now I think I may need a second one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had a hard time imagining what it would look like, but that looks VERY nice. I’ve got to see if there’s a way to make one of those to put in my paint locker to help make it easier to find stuff.

2 Likes

Lithophane box almost complete. I ran the LEDs around the inside of the box, glued in place. The only thing left is make a thin back for the box to fit into the slot and keep the light inside.

10 Likes

This morning I made a quick and easy shield for the Y-Axis. I wanted something that I could take off quickly and put back on just as quickly.

I used 1/4" MDF, 25mm m5 hex head screws and silicon end caps. Cut the MDF to size, drill a couple holes in each piece and put the screws through and screwed the end caps so they were nice and flush with the MDF. The end caps just press into the makerslide. It takes just a second to remove and replace.

2 Likes

Did a two sided carve today. It is from the Vectric Lab Blog: http://www.vectric.org/labs/index.php/item/love-spoon

I shrank the spoon down 50% and used 1/2" cherry to make it. The first attempt was not lined up very well and I was off from right to left about 1/16". I adjusted the alignment pegs and it worked well this time, it is still off, but only by a hair.

Here it is after the roughing pass on the first side with the alignment holes on the top and bottom.

And here is the completed spoon, both top and bottom. I need to do a little sanding, but I think it came out well.

7 Likes

Nice carve! Pretty good registration too.

1 Like

Testing out some double sided tape as I make a sign in 3/4" cherry. So far it is holding well and I am making a fairly aggressive depth of cut with a 1/4" endmill roughing pass.

The tape is:

http://www.amazon.com/XFasten-Indoor-Carpet-Double-Inches/dp/B0141L81GS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

2 Likes

I am loving that tape, Thank you for recommending it to me. It holds like crazy and comes off in one piece without living any residue.

1 Like

This is the most aggressive I have been with it so far and it hasn’t budged a bit.

Great tip @ErikJenkins!

Thank You!

1 Like