It's Alive

Would you mind publishing vendor’s information and part number for.
Thanks Erik.

1 Like

I will post everything on it once I do some testing…I will post the files to allow this to mount as well. I want to make sure it is worth a damn before I recommend it. It seems nice and solid and smooth, but I have only cut some test pockets to make sure I am dialed in for z-axis movement. I plan to do some cutting tonight and this weekend. I am off work next week as well, so I will have 10 days to really put this new axis through its paces.

2 Likes

I notice you have non standard (i.e. silver vice black) X Axis Rails with the stiffening mod done. What made you decide to do this?

I bought 2 new makerslide when I was doing the mod in case I screwed it up somehow…the silver was cheaper :slight_smile:

First real test with the new Z-Axis. Cutting a small candy dish, about 5" x 5" out of a 1.5" thick piece of hard maple that I have had in the shop for about 15 years. The bulk of the pocket was done with a 1/4" endmill…finishing it up with a 1/4" ballnose now. V-Carve on the bottom of the dish next then cutout.

Going well so far…the movement is smooth and I have not noticed any flex.

1 Like

I used a ballnose bit to finish the bottom of the pocket so I could have a nice transition from the walls of the pocket to the bottom. So instead of a sharp angle, I get a nice smooth curved transition.

3 Likes

Here is the bowl, fresh off of the machine, I need to do a little sanding, but the new axis worked well.

8 Likes

Sanded, a couple of soakings of boiled linseed oil and a good wiping down.

7 Likes

Tested the new setup on 0.25" 6061 T6 aluminum. I cut a 2" disc with some v-carve, everything was cut with a 60° 0.125" v-bit. The cutout was done with a 0.125" single flute upcut bit. I’ll do some light wet sanding and polish it to see how it comes out. I am pleased with the results.

1 Like

do you have vcarve desktop or pro for tiling?

I have Vcarve desktop

mine doesnt allow tiliing i have 8.0

Check under toolpaths…I just fired mine up and it is there.

right its there but when you actually decide to go through it. it blocks you from doing it

I just did a test and it worked…keep the tile manager open when you save toolpaths and it saves them separately with T1 and T2 added to the file name…I did 2 tiles so that is what I got.

hmmmm is this some kind loophole in the program if it is idc i really need it without the 500$ upgrade

oh really I didnt know vcarve pro did this lol I cant wait for my copy monday that is really handy

V-Carve desktop works as well as pro…I have desktop and it works fine.

yeah but it wont work for my 4x8 machine?

No, limited by 25x25 machine…