It's Alive

The band clamp holding the box together…was purchased from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1P8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But now I used the clamping jig on the tailmaker site to glue up the boxes: Loading...

Time to make some more holiday signs out of Corian.

This is cut out of 0.25" Corian using a 1.25" 45° v-bit and then a profile cut to cut it out with a 0.125" 2 flute endmill (straight flutes). Using this big v-bit allows me to do the v-carve in 1 pass, I ran the v-carve toolpath twice to make sure it was a nice clean cut. Total time for the entire sign was 9 minutes. I cut 10 of these this morning and a few other designs as well. A couple of pieces of two sided tape were used to hold the material…it went very fast.

I will fill the cuts with acrylic paint, do a quick sand to knock off any overpaint then a shot of poly to seal.

10 Likes

Nice. I’d really like to see it after your finish work.

1 Like

I’ll post a pic…here is one I did last year…

6 Likes

that’s very nice indeed! ! !

1 Like

Looks great!

I like how clean Corian carves.

1 Like

I wanted to show how I am holding the Corian down to the wasteboard with 2-sided tape. I am still probably using too much tape, but it holds well and I am able to cut out 2 of the signs from each piece of Corian without using tabs which makes cleanup that much faster. I leave the tape hanging off of the sides so I have something to grab to remove it.

4 Likes

@ErikJenkins

hey eric I am curious as to why you just dont use clamps to hold it down and save the tape?

tape on the edges!

I was trying to speed things up…I had to make a bunch. I printed some corner clamps for these today and I am going to try that tomorrow.

not sure if it is possible on the x-carve cause I could never really get it to work really good but then again I never really investigated it on that machine

but I find on my big machine I can cut out things without tabs or tape

like these they didn’t use any sort of attachment method

even nesting as thin as this

seems like I use the downcut chip packing awesomeness to my advantage lol once the part is done cutting the saw dust actually holds it in place just enough for the tool to retract out of the cut and move to the next

1 Like

With my little 0.125" bit I use to cut out the pieces, the corian will likely snap the bit if it shifts, just being cautious.

oh yeah that might be a problem

vacuum fixture would be sweet on those if you have a bunch to do

solid surface holds down great without alot of suction power

1 Like

Vacuum clamp would be awesome for these.

mill you one out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the corner hold-down pieces I printed today…the two on the left are upside down. They will be screwed down to the wasteboard…We will see if it goes faster…I have more Christmas signs to cut.

3 Likes

I tried out the little corner clamps I printed out yesterday. I added 4 tiny little tabs to the cutout that sanded away very quickly, so Carve, loosen two screws, put in new material and repeat…I was able to knock out 16 more fairly quickly today.

5 Likes

Nice! It must make doing a batch of these much easier.
Where are you getting your Corian? Are all your blanks the same size?

All of the blanks are 8" x 10", so it is a nice quick switch.

I bought a stack from ebay, it is a bit pricey…20 sheets for $115. I have gone through a couple of these. :slight_smile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252306743596?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 Like

oh yeah solid surface is not cheap lol

The nice things is, I am getting $18 for each little sign, so well worth the price. $36 per sheet.

1 Like