It's Alive

oh yeah so 24.50 profit after material how does it take to mill out?

This stuff cuts so wellā€¦I v-carve the text and the Santa image and a single line around the edge with a monster 45Ā° 1.25" v-bit then cutout with a 0.125" endmillā€¦cutting out two, with bit change, takes about 20 minutes.

uh-oh lol 12.50 per unit of machine time cost @ 50hr rate

we are negative .50 cents :frowning:

I am good with itā€¦haha

lol no worries I am just playing around

sounds like a sweet gig

1 Like

Where did you find your 45 deg vbit?

A friend of mine gave it to me, Iā€™ll ask him where he got itā€¦it has a 6mm shank.

1 Like

After doing a little googling and measuring the bit, it appears to be 60Ā°ā€¦ thatā€™s what I get for not measuringā€¦ :slight_smile:

I have it set for 45Ā° in V-Carve and I will leave it that way for these since the cut is exactly the way I want.

1 Like

Interesting, I have been looking for a easy/reliable method to relieve the edges, You may have discovered it! Use my big 60 and tell Vcarve it is a 45.

How deep do you take it?

For the border on the little Christmas sign, I am taking it 0.075" deep and it gives a nice chamfered edge.

Thanks! I will try that on my next carve.

1 Like

You should start a new thread about chamfered edges, I bet I am not the only one that is looking for an easy way to do it.

1 Like

If you have only 1 depth pass it may not be an issue, but if you need more than 1 pass to reach the desired depth, you are really asking for trouble.

Just throwing it out there for newcomers who stumble upon this thread so they donā€™t get wrong information.
You should always cut with correct parameters. :grinning:

2 Likes

@ErikJenkins - Could this material safely be used for food? I need to make 30 Gingerbread house bases and instead of throw away MDF, I thought it would be cool to use these. Should be safer than MDF anyway right?

This should be safe for food, it is almost the same thing as corian which is used for countertops.

One more small run of signs ready for a quick sanding around the edgesā€¦There is an odd number because if you drop 0.25" corian on a concrete floor it will break :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I did not know they would break on impact, good information to file away

1 Like

It might have just landed wrong, I was surprisedā€¦cracked in half.

I ordered 25 sheets from him to use as gingerbread house bases. Because they are just bases I asked for remnants - he sent me ā€œsecondsā€ which have imperfections ONLY when light is shining through them. So, essentially they are perfect and I got them for $2.60. Is that good?

Also - I have none for experimentation - with a regular bit, v-carving exactly like you are doing would you recommend 2 passes (same size font for arumentā€™s sake).? So - set the bit for .1" per pass?

I paid $5.75 per sheet, so $2.60 is very good.

What size bit? The one I use is a huge hunk of metal and just plows through this stuff, a 1.25" bit. This stuff cuts very easily, if you are using one of the little 1/8" bits I would not go 0.1"ā€¦but probably any of the 1/4" bits should be fine.

And I cut all of my V-Carve passes in this stuff twiceā€¦does it make a difference? It makes me feel better :slight_smile:

3 Likes