It's Alive

That’s neat!

1 Like

@ErikJenkins - in your experience so far, has the 1" focal length worked the best for you? I bought the 3.8W laser almost 4 months ago, and I spent about 2 hours playing with it before I had to pull it off and go back to cutting paid projects. I’m hoping to return to it in Feb, but the biggest issue I had was getting a decently focused beam. I know his docs say 3", and my eyesight is awful, but I just wasn’t impressed when I was testing with that distance. I also tested some fonts on MDF, and the results were less than spectacular, have you found a good test medium (eg. plywood, pine)?

Thanks.

In my very limited experience with the laser, I find etching with the laser 1" above the material produces a finer/cleaner line. 3" above didn’t give me the crisp clean line I wanted.

I have made test etches in MDF, bamboo, maple, masonite and padauk. I have gotten really good clean lines in all of them.

You really need to turn the power all the way down on the laser to get a good focus. I put on my reading glasses and really made sure the focus was as sharp as I could get it. it does not focus to a pinpoint, it is a small rectangle shape.

Another focusing tip courtesy of @picengravertoo. Black anodized aluminum is your friend. :grin:

2 Likes

I didn’t check to see how old this post was that I’m commenting on but how do you carve on a piece you have already cut out and finished I thought once its done its done. (note I have not bought my X-Carve yet

Basically, it you can clamp/attach a piece to the x-carve you can work on it… Which post above are you referring to and I can be more specific.

This post is way too long now… I’ll start a new one on my next post.

The post that he tagged is your candle rings.

Where do you see that?

If the candle rings are the post, they were not put back on the machine…I just made several iterations of the design. I ended up making a few dozen of those.

Next to the time on the post, should be a picture of who is being replied to, if you click the picture, it will pop up the post that was replied to.

1 Like

Very nice, I never knew that. Thank you!

2 Likes

what bit size did you enter on easel for the yellow 60° V bit and it’s depth?
what about for a 20° V bit?

1 Like

I don’t use easel, I use V-Carve. V-Carve makes it very easy to enter pretty much any size and type of bit.

i have vcarve pro and don’t know how to use it inspite of video.
i get lost when getting it into xcarve. do you mind walking me through it?

Do you mean adding bits to V-Carve or general usage?

I AM INTERESTED IN THE  ROTARY AXIS YOU USE.  can you share the brand name?    

THANK YOU

1 Like

Everything I did to get the rotary axis working is in this thread…I have links for everything.

2 Likes

both

Hi totally newbie. Haven’t even ordered the machine yet. Just evaluating to see what I can do with it. The T-Rex and all, how thick of lumber do you use to cut that out. From pic looks like 1/4” birch plywood.

Thanks

All of those were cut with 1/8’ masonite/hardboard. The thickness of the material just needs to be the same size as the slots that join the parts together. So they can be resized up to thicker material, but they can get huge if you go too big. They are a fun project and are fairly easy to cut.

Awesome thanks.

Now that’s left is to justify the purchase with payback :thinking:

1 Like