It's Alive

The wife likes them as well, have to make 4 more of them so she can give them to friends. lol

1 Like

Nice job!

1 Like

Went back into V-Carve, tweaked the toolpaths for the cross to cut within the outer vector, bumped up the feeds and speeds, so now:

Roughing pass (2 passes with a 1/8" endmill, 2 flute upcut) Feedrate 75, plunge 30 is now 8.5 minutes
Finish pass (1 pass with a 1/16" ball nose, 2 flute upcut) Feedrate 90, plunge 45 is now 38 minutes.
Cutout pass (7 passes with a 1/8" endmill, 2 flute upcut) Feedrate 75, plunge 30 is 2.5 minutes

Actual cut times, not software estimates. These are cut in 1/2" cherry. So from start to finish, with 2 bit changes, each one takes under an hour.

Sounds like you are starting a business! Now you just need to make some clamping jigs.

Knocked out 5 more this morning, I am using a bunch of cherry I already had, if it was bigger I could make more then 1 at a time…I could clamp a bunch of boards down, measure everything up do up some new toolpaths, but what is the fun in that…lol

1 Like

You’re going to be rich! The demand seems insatiable.

lol, it is if you ask my wife.

Popped this into my Amazon WishList! I’ll by buying this puppy soon - like the idea of the shopvac turning on whenever the spindle is on!

Russ from Coral Springs, Fl USA

1 Like

:frowning: My desktop version does not allow me to create shapes from vectors.

I thought Aspire was the only version that allowed 3D model creation.

Same on Pro version as well. Only able to change height, slice it, smooth it. All these possible on ready made 3D model.

I think @ErikJenkins was “distorting” vectors? (using one vector to create a z variation in another)
I have not explored this but remember seeing something about it in a tutorial video.

Here are the bear and deer with a cherry finish and poly clear coat.

6 Likes

And a few crosses…the two on the bottom have clear coat, three of the crosses are stained with “Traditional Cherry” stain and the other two stained with “Golden Pecan” .

4 Likes

And of course, the Jurassic Park sign with a little black paint added…

3 Likes

What can I say, I hate you, you’re making us look worthless CNC owners. :laughing:
They are piece of art Erik. Great job, as always.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thank you. Bear in mind, this is my second machine. My first one I built about 5 years ago from scratch. So I learned all about troubleshooting and maintaining…the X-Carve is actually very well designed and as long as it is assembled properly and everything is kept nice and tight it works very well…I am having a ball with this machine…I just wish there was more time to do all the things I want to do…lol

2 Likes

So, that means, we have to keep you happy. What would you like to drink. :slight_smile:

Lol…anything cold :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some reading on glazing 3D carvings if anyone is interested (PDF file).

Here is the forum thread: Glazing your 3D Carving - A Step by Step Guide - Vectric Customer

1 Like

nice find

2 Likes