Jog control

That is one of the things in life that is impossible to do…

2 Likes

Wow, all this time later this still hasn’t been implemented. I need to move the spindle without having a project loaded and carve-ready more often than when one is. Universal G-Code Sender has a control section just for this. I guess I’ll keep UGS open even if I’m using Easel, to have the needed machine control functionality.

@FredSawtelle

You cannot run Easel and UGCS at the same time. The COM port can only be opened by one program at a time.

Thanks, Larry. UGS has a switch to open and close the port connection. I don’t know whether Easel does or not, but I have the impression it’s only open when the “Carve” button is visible and green. I know that it isn’t when the button is blue. I bet a bit of experimentation would yield workable results. Or… the Easel guys could just take the UI and code that are accessible after the “Carve” button is clicked, and move that onto its own tab to be accessible at all times. What a concept!

Inventables has excellent service to its customers for hardware issues.

Unfortunately, the same can not be said for feature requests in Easel.

Could I possibly get the code for the pendant control with Arduino to mach3. I am starting a project which this would be really helpful. Thanks.

Yes it would be helpful to be able to use the jog controls outside of the carve window. I clean the machine and all wheels and completely inspect the machine before the next project.

Thanks, Phil, your input is much appreciated. You say you hit the carve button, jog, close–but in order to do that you have to have a project loaded and displaying the carve button. I often just want to move the spindle, before I ever load a project.

I’m still having connection problems, but a knee injury is keeping me out of my shop until after surgery. I’ll readdress this when I can get back to the machine.

What is the best way to clean the V wheels. I have been brushing them off after each project. They do get crud on them that is hard to brush off

I spent 20 years writing medical and business software. One of the things you learn early on is to make it as simple, obvious and user-friendly as possible. If something requires three clicks, can we make it require two instead? How about one? Is it possible to do away with the clicks altogether?
I was writing software for a steel fabrication plant (CNC machines) and took my latest work to the Production Control manager to test. He did something totally ridiculous, and crashed my program within eight seconds. “But why would you ever do something like that, anyway?” I cried, and he said, “Because my people will do it.”
Keep it very simple, very obvious, and don’t assume anything, that was the key. And so when I see something like this, I immediately know what needs to be done to make it simpler for the user. Instead of asking me why I want to move the spindle without having a project loaded, ask, “Why should the user have to load a project to move the spindle?”

4 Likes

How’s that jog control coming along?