Johnny 5 - 'Short Circuit' animatronic 'Hero' robot - Dream commission!

Johnny 5 is still ALIVE in me too! Have owned the series both on video tape and DVD.

I hate to admit that I still have BetaMax movies and BetaMax machines. Yes multiples. I cried when my wife made me get rid of my Beta 1.

Would be fun to design some 2D and 3D Easel projects to go along with this.

Hi there,

It’s sad really, as Betamax is an extremely good quality format!!!

I’m going to need to create full 3d drawings from some amazing reference I’ve managed to obtain!!

I will be uploading as many files as I can, as well as instructional .pdf’s, and YouTube videos :smile:

:smile: I will indeed Rusty!! I’ve already watched ‘Short Circuit’ this evening…just about to start watching ‘SC2’ :smile:

I was stationed in Astoria, OR back in the late 60’s and Lived in Astoria in the 90’s. When ever I watch the movies I see places I know well and know when they shot scenes that were not in Astoria.

Will be watching your progress. Also ready to help if needed.

Dave
Ariel, WA

Hi David,

Here’s the house :smile:

Your offer of help is greatly appreciated!!

All the very best

Dave

I was stationed on the Coast Guard Buoy Tender White Bush in the late 60’s and worked for several companies in the 90’s.

Not sure what your reference to Paine is.

I’m sure I’ve seen the house, just can’t recall where it is in Astoria.

Dave
Ariel, WA

Ya got my vote! “To infinity and beyond!”
Oh… Wait! That was a different movie. But a cool slogan none the less! :wink:

Hi Angus,

You are right, there were indeed only 2 movies released, but…‘SC3’ started production, and some original footage + additional footage is available as an unofficial fan made DVD…I was lucky enough to be able to find one:)

Also, a rewritten ‘SC3’ is currently in pre-production!!! Can’t wait!!

All the best

Dave

Just corrected my other post…mental note to myself…posting to a community is never a good idea when you are half asleep:)

It was indeed Scott, but you’re right…such a cool slogan!!! :smile:

That is indeed a dream project! Will the arms be articulated and motor driven?

Hi David,

Sorry, thats what I get for trying to post to two different communities, and answer emails at the same time, while half asleep!!

She looked like a fine vessel!!!

Hi David,

Here’s the address:-

197 Hume Ave.
Astoria,
OR 97103

All the best

Dave

What it is only 1:30 in the morning on Thursday.

White Bush was a good duty station.

I’ve gone around that corner I don’t know how meany times over the years.

Do you have any plans to work from or are you going to have to figure every thing from photos.

Dave
Ariel, WA

:smile: I’ve been working 42 hours straight David…it’s been a tiring few days…crazy pre christmas blitz to tie up all the loose ends…fun though :slight_smile:

Small world, my father who was a Royal Navy officer was posted to Fort Tilden, and worked closely with the USCG in NY…he had a fantastic time while he was there:) (Not too sure why he was there, but I knew not to ask too many questions!!)

Thankfully I’ve got 4.2gb of stills taken by Eric Allard, the animatronics engineer who brought ‘Johnny 5’ to life.
I’ve also got some CAD drawings, which I might add are not very accurate in some respects, but do include some important measurements!!!

All the very best

Dave

Hi Angus,

It’s going to be a very complex build :smile: I’ve managed to identify quite a few of the original parts used, including all of the original servos, linear actuators, and motors…I love the research part of any build…it’s a real detective game!!

I’m going to create Easel files for a large percentage of the build, as well as instructional .pdf’s, and YouTube videos.

All the very best

Dave

Very cool! Can’t wait to see your progress, I’m currently working on a life size Wall-E completely 3D printed. I wanted to do Johnny 5 but got out voted :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow Brian, looks amazing!!!

1 Like

Thanks, so much more to do

…But it will be worth all of the hard work in the end!!!

1 Like

Hi Angus,

:slight_smile: Initial tot up equals:-

6 x Futaba FP-S33 servos for the eye flaps, (top & bottom) - Two on each upper flap, connected to each other via a linkage.
9 x Mixed Futaba servos in the bottom head shell.
3 x Mixed Futaba servos in the top head shell

18 servo just in, or on the head shell…he’s a complex little chap:)

I haven’t created a complete list of servos, linear actuators, motors, and pumps yet, but the list is going to be a long one!!

All the very best

Dave