Larger than 1000 - in 2023?

Im looking to extend my 1000 and as the inflatables site mysteriously do not sell the 1800mm makerslide anylonger anyone have suggestions to adding the 750 to the ends and making sure the gantry can still slide smoothly over the extension?

You can make “MakerSlide” with this item from open builds. When you attach this to each half of the 2040 profile you end up with makerslide. You can order both 2040 and Linear Rail from this site pre-cut. Make sure you also get the t-nuts and the proper length fasteners and it will work within the profile of the gantry. Also works with 4040 and any other profiles of same type. You will be able to splice if needed as the linear rail will be a single piece end to end.

Openrail Linear Rail

2 Likes

Awesome! Im trying to figure out all the parts I would need.
Looking to just extend it another 500 mm.
Would you mind helping me to build a parts list?

So far I am thinking I need the following:
2 x 235-LP (1500mm) V-Slot® 20x40 Linear Rail
4 x 90-LP (1500mm) OpenRail Linear Rail

What would I need for the work area?
Thinking I just need parts to make the work area 500 MM longer

2 x 170-LP (1000mm) V-Slot® 20x20 Linear Rail

• Cut one to size making the additional 500 in length.

Hardware needed?
1 x 2165-Pack (10) Tee nuts
1 x 230-Pack (10) Drop In Tee Nuts
4 x 490 Cast Corner Bracker
1 x 2095-Pack (10) Hidden Tee Nut (Should I use these to mount the work area frame? Instead of Corner bracket?)

1 Like

I am looking at this for you now…

2 x 235-LP (1500mm) V-Slot® 20x40 Linear Rail
4 x 90-LP (1500mm) OpenRail Linear Rail
2 x 210-LP (1500mm) V-Slot® 20x20 Linear Rail
*** Use new to replace both outside, then cut one of the old ones to extend the middle support.***
*** You will need to cut to 1458mm ***
1 x 2115-Pack
*** Use to splice 20x20 together ***

4 x 2165-Pack (40) Tee nuts (Linear Rail takes a lot of these, and they are cheap)
4 x 815-Pack (40) M3 8mm Screws (Linear Rail takes a lot of these, and they are cheap)
1 x 230-Pack (10) Drop In Tee Nuts (These are great when you forget a t-nut)
4 x 490 Cast Corner Bracket (You should be just reusing your old ones, but maybe you have other ideas)

I Do not understand why you have this item listed, but it may work in your design??

1 x 2095-Pack (10) Hidden Tee Nut

DON’T FORGET — Replacement Belts Likely cheapest on Amazon

Lastly, I would encourage you to add stiffeners to the Y-Axis. Especially since you will be adding 30 percent to the length of the rails. This is simple to make yourself with 1/4" aluminum flat bar. It will help with side to side movement on the Y Rails.

I hope I have not missed anything here… feel free to reach out to me here on this thread or through private message on this forum.

1 Like

This is great thank you much.

Clarifying the item:

2 x 210-LP (1500mm) V-Slot® 20x20 Linear Rail
**** Use new to replace both outside, then cut one of the old ones to extend the middle support.****
**** You will need to cut to 1458mm ****

I’m assuming this is going to be used to rebuild the work area, rather than add on to the existing one?

I Do not understand why you have this item listed, but it may work in your design??
1 x 2095-Pack (10) Hidden Tee Nut

I was thinking of using these instead of the Cast corner brackets which was why I was asking your opinion on it. “(Should I use these to mount the work area frame? Instead of Corner bracket?)”

Yes. I would buy (2) 20x20x1500 to rebuild the work bed and only splice the center one using the 2 removed cut to length.

I would use the cast corner brackets as they are much more ridgid. You could also make a 4th 20x20x1500 for under the waste board using the rest of the removed pieces if your like me and do things overkill. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great! Again thank you. I am expecting my parts tomorrow. Cannot wait to build.
Sounds like though I will need to do something about a new waste board now.

Any good source of cut plans?

Unfortunately it looks like the website that had all the CAD Drawings has shut down. I was thinking I could just grab the files for the wasteboard and make the adjustments needed.

Maybe someone else will spot this thread and supply those CAD’s … I have a XCP which has enough real estate to cut you a new waste board. Since I sold my old 1000x1000 I dont have it to take measurements from.

Guess it might make sense to use T-Track. Was thinking of just purchasing 2 Packs of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGH55VMW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ANWTMEVQVMNT8&psc=1

This will give me 2 outer t-tracks with 4 in the middle.
Since 6 t-tracks together would be 216mm (each t-track is 36mm)
I would need to take 750mm (work area) - 216mm would be 534mm
5 Gaps for the MDF would mean 106.8 mm (4.2 inches) each Right?

The width of the T-Track is 3/4" (19.2mm).

@KevinCarlson how is the project going? I’m here to help should you have any questions. I am also here to celebrate when your up and running.

Hey Robert! Ok so I am done! Yay… Started back up my 50 Flags Project.

• I ended up going with all T-Track. Now just need to 3D print some Surfacing Mounts.
    CNC Clamp by 2n2r5 - Thingiverse
    (Except will have to create some with a 90 degree as well.)

• Also learned about tramming… When surfacing I found the bit was digging in on one side.
    Lots of tools out for sale, and for 3D Printing.
    I ended up just using an allen key (worked great then added a shim the spindle mount)

So I was short a bunch of 8mm M5 button-head screws. Had to use 10mm and put in washers to keep from hitting the inside of the rails.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.