Laser adaptation project

Congratulations, I have been following this post since you started. Any chance of a full right up with parts list?

@DavidKSantistevan , so, I am very new to that of lasers…

In your opinion, would Spindle Mounted All-In-One Bundle - J Tech Photonics, Inc. be a decent route? Looks like it’ll fit on the spindle itself, but my concern is, do you think how far it drops below the spindle make it a viable solution? or do you think it’s best to mount it offset like you have yours?

I am going to go with this one.

Link

I think it will work.

That definitely will work! I just mounted mine using two sided servo tape.

1 Like

******* DISCLAIMER *****
I did this project on my own and this is not a supported solution from Inventibles. This project requires that you open the case of your controller and make modifications to the factory build. Doing so may VOID you warranty and there is the potential to damage the components of your unit. Please proceed at your own risk. This project is offered without warranty or guarantee of any kind.

With that said I will write this up shortly and compose a bill of materials. Alot of the work was the discovery and work through. After the fact this should be pretty simple for most.
D

2 Likes

So, what you’re saying is… If I open my machine up and post pictures, I should make a dummy forum account so they can’t trace it back to me?

Got it.

:wink: :wink:

Here is the write up for doing this project. It is not intended for use by anyone who is not fully comfortable and capable of doing this with the just the instructions provided.
write up.pdf (676.0 KB)

I did a bunch of test cutting of some acrylic and it worked very well.
D

4 Likes

One last comment and then I am done! You will see in several of my pictures a yellow cone coming down from the ceiling. This is a fume and particle extraction system. It will run you about $500. Please use one if you are going to use the laser! Most materials will give off some pretty nasty fumes when using the laser on them. Mine vents to the outside and I have it on a switch.

2 Likes

I appreciate this info and will most likely be using it before long, But I am looking at using V-carve pro as my design software and would like to work directly from it to a universal G code sender and by pass Easel all to gather!!!
Dose anyone have a step by step guide to accomplish this? As I have just gotten in my XCP and do not like Easel at ALL!! I just like having all of v-carve pro tools to design with and sending the carve to and through Easel is such a pain and then you need to check all of your dimensions’ and depth of cuts to insure thy are correct, before you start the cut

Is there a way to offset the laser point center from the router center. For example I would like to laser a design in 1/2” material, then cut out the outer area with the spindle. Awesome work by the way Is there a way to offset the laser point center from the router center. For example I would like to laser a design in 1/2” material, then cut out the outer area with the spindle. Awesome work by the way Is there a way to offset the laser point center from the router center in the software? This would allow me to home once and have the spindle and laser properly aligned on the workpiece. I want to use the laser to raster a design and then use the spindle to cut it out. Thank you for all the documentation and work. I am excited about this project! One last question: since my dust collection is connected outside, do you think my dust collector could capture the fumes as well?

If you have or use the triquetra touch plate to zero your work i think Charlie has a program for that that would zero your laser or your router bit. You may want to check it out and i would not use your dust collection system to suck up the smoke. 1 little spark and you may end up loosing everything.

If using lighrburn, you could use a vbit in the router to best identify your laser offset. Then create a macro in lighburn to perform the offset movement. Takes learning some gcode in order to crate the macros though