Lasered an eagle today

I am making a small table from a slab of cedar and lasered an eagle on it. Like the way it came out and thought I’d share.

22 Likes

Looks great! What laser setup are you using?

Wow. That’s amazing.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s the JTech 2.8.

Very nice. I bet that made things smell wonderful!

Seriously.

1 Like

thanks and yea it did. I’ve been doing a lot with cedar recently and I can’t complain about how the shop smells after sanding or cutting it.

1 Like

Looks great!

1 Like

That looks fantastic! I’d appreciate it if you could share the details of your setup and cut particulars of this.
software used, feeds and speeds, laser settings, focal distance, etc.

It would be a huge help to those of us just starting out with lasers.

1 Like

The eagle looks nice, but the slab of cherry is the real star here!

1 Like

Wow!, laser upgrade lust is setting in again…

2 Likes

I found the image I wanted to use by doing a google image search for ‘eagle black and white’.

I loaded the image into VCarve Pro, resized it, did an image trace on it, and then went straight to the toolpath controls. The toolpath I created follows @PhilJohnson’s approach on his web site - CNC LASER - specifically the sections on ‘V CARVE LASER TOOL SETUP’ and ‘V CARVE LASER ENGRAVING’.

I use the JTech 2.8W laser. It is typically focused to 3" but, due to the thickness of the material and the limited height on my Z, I had to refocus it for what I had. I then used UGS to load and run the gcode. It took about 40 minutes to do.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Wow that looks great. Question do you have a laser attachment for the CNC machine or a stand alone laser

Thanks. It attaches to the CNC via a really cool mount designed by @PhilJohnson - JTECH LASER MOUNT

1 Like

A couple layers of wipe on poly have darkened the wood some. More than I expected but I’m ok with it. Now ready to pour an epoxy top coat. Just waiting for the measuring cups to arrive.

2 Likes

Got the epoxy poured on the top and sides today. First time I have done that with epoxy and, I’ll have to admit, I was quite nervous. Fortunately I mixed enough and believe I got all the air bubbles out. Will let that sit a safe 3 days before touching it. Next steps will be to sand bottom of epoxy drips and glue the legs on. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

Aside from one small remaining task, it’s pretty much done. I really like this and believe I will be doing a lot more laser stuff.

3 Likes

Here’s a brief walk-around video of it.

1 Like

That looks Great! Nice work.

1 Like

Final step - I added an LED light under the epoxy filled hole. Thought it might be neat to have it slowly change through colors.

I needed a way to mount it plus it has a lot of bleed through that would light under the table so I 3D printed a mounting bracket.

3 Likes

That is sooo Awesome!!

1 Like