Layering Questions - Outlines

Howdy all, this is a two part question. I am working on a fairly complicated clock design in Inkscape/Easel but have distilled the essence of the questions into below.

1. With two overlapping shapes, is it possible to cut the shape outlines of both (think boolean AND) without carving into lower layered 2nd shape?

Above is a simple example of two shapes overlapping. What I’d like is (generated with Google SketchUp):

1. Is it possible to combine Easel operations? For instance, in the last image above, changing the ‘fill’ depth and also cutting the outline? I think it is possible by adding other filler shapes around the shapes, or by doing a cut and saving home, modifying in easel, then cutting the next operation, but I’m curious if there’s a way to combine those operations into one carve.

Thanks guys!

-Alan

Ok, here is my best way to explain how to do this. make your square and circle the size you want and the position them together they way you want making note of both sizes and positions in the shape dialogue box. make both as outline, then set depth as deep as the material. once that is done select both items, click on edit then combine. this makes that basic shape that will cut all the way out as shown. then you want to make the same size square and circle but this time place them together then make that square as depth of 0.0 with an on the line shape, make the circle as half deep (1/4 of 1/2 or 1/8 of 1/4 etc.) however you want. then select both and combine. this will remove the square from the circle shape. then place the new cut on top of your outline cut and presto you have what you have shown here. If anyone has a better way please post as I know this is long and detailed.

I have made I quick demo as shown here. Easel - test to show combined shapes hope this shares well.

@KennethConnell has a great explanation.

Here’s some graphics of how to do the same.

Make a square at (2,2) and a circle at (3,1)

Hold shift to select both, use the right click menu to combine.
Set the depth to your material depth.

Add a new circle at (3,1) and set the depth to 1/4 (assuming material of 1/2), and send it behind the other shapes.

As a last step to JeremySimmons’ directions above…

Don’t forget to add another square at the same coordinates as the square portion of the outline. Make it a cut depth of zero and bring it to the front that way you get the square and the stepped down circle as shown by the OP.

{:0)

Brandon

Good catch @BrandonR_Parker, I’m mostly through a six pack…

I could really go for some Angry Orchard at this time…

Brandon

is that stuff any good? does it have a strong tequila taste?

I think it’s amazing. It’s closer to a pilsner, like most domestics, so it’s very drinkable, but has extra flavor that you wouldn’t get from one of those. It’s similar to landshark, but with a different angle.

The aftertaste all depends on the grade of tequilla you drink, and how long you let it linger in your mouth. Jose Cuervo is generally pissvasser unless you buy the stuff that’s $40-60 / 750, just say.

oh okay I see

yeah for some reason (i know the reason lol) I cant drink tequilla anymore without getting a nauseated

but i am always seeing that and I like to try new things I might give it a try

you seem to be misinformed of the ingredients of beer…

also, I doubt very much youve tasted horse urine to be able to give first hand knowlede of the taste similarities

I understand what nature has intended for nurishment and what it has intended as garbage.

you may not enjoy the taste, but please dont label something others do enjoy as the bodily excrement of an animal. Youre welcome to obstain from drinking as well as discussing…

Thanks for the help guys! Going to give this a try.

These are some of the pieces I’m working with, trying to finagle together in Easel:

This is by far perfect, but it was a quick an dirty attempt that should get you going in the right direction.

Clock Face w/ F35 Hour Hand

Branon

Looks like a great success on this end. Thanks again for the help guys.

-Alan