Lead Screw Conversion

So I have converted my XCARVE to Lead screws on all axis and no more worrying about the dang belts slipping or breaking! I used 5 start 1/2 10 ACME Lead Screws, anti backlash ACME nuts and 1/2 bearings. The plates I made all myself and I am hoping to get this out for sell soon on my website for people who also want to covert to Lead Screws. Lead Screws I got from McMaster Carr, Anti backlash nuts and couplings I got from Dumpster CNC, and the bearings with mounts I got from Garage Worx CNC. I also upgraded the Motors and Driver while I was at it with the Xylotex 425oz stepper motors with Driver kit and I can now rum Mach3! I love the new set up, havent had any issues at all and the accuracy and repeatability is remarkable!!

14 Likes

Definately following this. how much did it cost to do this.

Something I was considering at a later time.
Can’t wait now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

With all the other upgrades we are seeing this seems like a natural progression. Sign me up.

1 Like

I like where this is going!

2 Likes

I went with bigger motors because I actually planned on engraving and cutting mild steel and I didnt think the 80oz motors that inventables gives you would be enough. In the pictures above, the black plate with my logo on it is mild steel and I engraved and cut that out with the xcarve, the holes, logo and profile was all done on the XCARVE. As well as some turning tools that I make and sell on my website! As for the price, let me go back over all my stuff and total up the price and I will post it up on here by later today or tomorrow!

2 Likes

My machine is in peices right now doing that very thing. Just finished drilling the holes for the aluminum base for the new spoil board(can’t remember where I got the idea) last night and I’m using the R7 to cut taller Y plates for the Z axis upgrade ( not sure where I got that idea either.). The 2 wide makerslides were delivered a couple days ago. (I beat you to that one😎) I have a couple of carriage plates and the spacers to go with an axle across the rail ’ 33mm of additional spacer in case your curious.

1 Like

What an awsoooooome project !!! love it !!

3’ 1018 carbon steel approx $20 ea. 6’ double that. For 4140 alloy steel, 3’ approx $44.
All 1/2"-10 5 start ACME
Anti backlash nuts approx $22 ea.
Thread clamps approx $11.
Threaded coupler approx $18.
Plates, nuts, etc, we’ll have to wait and see (or cut your own :smile:)

Awesome project, following for updates!

Is this still a thing, I’d love to do it but I was hoping for how to vids.

Any update?
and how has it been working?

1 Like

It seems to me like you just took the Gatton CNC “drive train” and put it onto the Xcarve frame. Yeah? It looks good, I would like to do that down the line, too.

A life without belts, what a dream. Just wondering if you have any updates ( things you’ve changed or wish you had done). I’m just now getting a plan together and yours is the best I’ve seen so far.

1 Like

When all you guys upgrade send me your belts. :+1:

1 Like