Learning Inkscape

I’m trying to learn inkscape. I’ve watched several tutorials and was trying to follow along with one of the posts on this forum about adding holes along a curve or path.
Adding as objects along the path comes out a blob (I’m trying to make a sunflower type pattern around a circle using the middle of two circles as the pattern).
When I try the “Scatter along path” I get an error
“Traceback (most recent call last):
File “pathscatter.py”, line 248, in
PathScatter().run()
File “C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\inkscape\extensions\inkex\base.py”, line 140, in run
self.save_raw(self.effect())
File “pathscatter.py”, line 190, in effect
mat[1][2] += self.options.noffset
TypeError: ‘tuple’ object does not support item assignment”

According to the help tab I need to have one object set as a path (the circle that the pattern will be around) and one object needs to just be an object. And then the two need to be on separate layers of which the topmost will be used as the pattern which will fall around the circle.
Does this sound obvious to anyone? Everything I read says creating these types of patterns around objects is a pretty simple and good place to start with learning the software. Any suggestions as to the obvious thing I’m missing?

Same thing’s happening to me. Googling doesn’t help. Haven’t found a way to resolve the issue here as well. Could it be because i have soft like worktime(employee monitoring software), or SysGage installed??? I cant delete them because they’re installed on my work PC… that is why i’m asking you here