LED Strip light supplies

The wall adapters are the power supplies, correct? I read recently that 5 amp power supplies are the better choice, but I wonder if it makes a difference given a short ten inch run of lights, or if it matters at all?

Great news. I know at one or another I must have had a bushel of those things around. Still have a few Iā€™m sure. Maybe I wonā€™t have to buy any for the first few projects.

correct, I use 2 amp power supplies, works great for all my lengths of leds I use

One more question if I may. If I use a controller with multi-colored lights does that increase the power requirements or is there no real effect?

I have no need whatsoever for lights on my X Carve. Iā€™m thinking about edge lit signs. In general though I like to learn about things, whether I have a specific at-the-moment need or not.

There wouldnā€™t be a noticeably big difference. Plus most of the time you buy run controllers they come with power supplies or list the required supply.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I appreciate it. Iā€™m looking forward to building something with ledā€™s.

Carefull, itā€™s addictingā€¦

3 Likes

I can see why it would be. Thatā€™s really cool

running all 3 channels at 100% for any length of time is potentially dangerous with cheap controllers not designed for sustained usage or the max draw. needed to create the ā€œwhiteā€ light from average RGB LED strips.

This isnā€™t really relevant with such short (under 15m) lengths of lights. but be aware!

quality power supplies are a good investment.

You can assign specific colors or sequences to various machine conditions for quick visual feedback to inform in addition to illuminate.
Light is blue, job is completed or if light is red, job failed or fade to white as job progress bar etc.

use the amazing ā€œFastLEDā€ library for control of any LED, even with ā€œdumbā€ 12v RGB strips.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always soldered My LEDS no issues yet! My Hakko soldering Iron is amazing, I love it heats up fast and has tons of different tips.

1 Like

You can buy it from led strip manufacture(www.normandled.com),they speclizing produce all kinds of normal led strip and pixel led strip,like 3528,5050,2835,sk6812,ws2813,gs8208 led strip and so on.

Since this thread popped back up, and Iā€™m about to give my first LED sign a try for my sonā€™s room, what is a good controller youā€™d recommend. Right now Iā€™m just going to go with single color LED strips.

that would b awesome to do and for my bosslaser. How??

Dude, where do you get the stand?! This is exactly the kind of thing I want to try to makeā€¦

Anyone have a link to project plans?