Locking shapes (aka pinning) released

Hi all,
We have released locking shapes. Previously, this was a beta feature called pin shapes. You can lock a shape in the shape panel by clicking the lock icon. Locked shapes will not move, scale or rotate until you unlock them. Locked text fields will become uneditable.

lock shapes

For more information, check out the feature page: Easel - Lock Shapes. Feel free to leave feedback here or in the app.

Thanks!

Edit: This will be released on Monday, I’ve updated the post. Sorry for the delay.

6 Likes

I would add that, if this follows the behavior of the currently available “Pin” operation, combining a pinned shape with an unpinned shape results in a combination of the two shapes as well as leaving the original pinned shape.

I see benefits and drawbacks to both leaving or removing the original pinned shape(s), but leaving the behavior as-is is fine by me. It is just a behavior to be aware of during the combining process (i.e. remember to unpin (unlock) shapes that you want to combine if you no longer want the original shape).

{:0)

Brandon Parker

4 Likes

This has been released, we appreciate any feedback about the feature!

@BrandonR_Parker Thanks for pointing that out. We have left the behavior for combining locked shapes as is for now but it does seem unintuitive. We may revisit this in the future.

1 Like

@HenryPhu, plus one for disabling all of the data entry points for shapes while they are locked. This was a source of contention previously.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Brandon Parker

1 Like

@HenryPhu,
With the change from “Pinning Shapes” to “Locking Shapes” as described above, there seems to be an issue when a shape is locked, subsequently unlocked, and then the “Undo” feature is used. Using the “Undo” feature, while it does have the action to “Undo Lock” in the queue for both Locking and Unlocking actions, the “Undo” feature will not revert an object to the “Locked” state.

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this. We’ve pushed a fix for the undo lock behavior.

Let us know of any other issues.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to have individual values locked as well as a master include all lock/unlocked?

@DavidLitz, this is a great idea…

In the meantime, CTRL-A works to select all objects. You can then just change the status of everything. Anything that is locked will become unlocked and everything that is unlocked will be locked.

You could also add a post to the Feature Request board to help Inventables tracks requests as well.

Brandon Parker

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.