Longest Cut Times

Once I have completed my design, it’s just File>Save (Save As) and everything gets saved to an *.crv file. I then switch over to the Toolpath menu and start working on my toolpaths. That’s one of the things I like most about VCarve is the ability to break your project down into as many toolpaths as you wish, with bit changes and elapsed time taken into consideration.
Once I have verified my toolpaths by carefully watching the preview, I just save each toolpath using the XCarve post processor (which comes with VCarve 9.0 and recently released V10.0). I typically name each toolpath with some reference to the design element, the bit specified and the toolpath type. Once all the toolpaths are finished and previewed, Save the entire project again. I then copy all of the *.gcode files to the laptop in my shop.
The last step is to switch over to Easel and import the *.gcode file(s) in the order that is desired and follow all the usual Easel prompts (material secure, probe, last XY, dust boot and so forth) and hit carve!
On my first couple of attempts (no failures so far), I learned that by having a new/blank Easel project open, each time you import and run an *.gcode file, a separate Easel workpiece is created for each toolpath. You can then name/rename the Easel project as you wish.
The one thing I haven’t tried as yet is running the toolpath/workpiece a second time without going through the gcode import step. I think it should work and I intend to give it a try on a simple toolpath like machining a couple of small pockets.
I’m happy so far with the workflow that I just described, but my curiosity was piqued by your and Jan’s comments regarding Picsender.
Hope this answers your question.
For what it’s worth, I just this morning finished watching the Getting Started-Open Sign tutorial…it’s a good one!!!

1 Like

I have heard people talk about VCarve now comes with a post processor but they said they use UGS or Picsender. I will have to try that and see how it goes. I received my VCarve 2 weeks ago so I’m still learning the basics.
Thanks Again
Russell

Let me start by saying that I’m a control freak.
When I bought my machine and found out that easel is so called “cloud” based, I wanted nothing to do with it.
To me there is no such thing as “cloud” (It’s a cutesy term that someone dreamed up) and I need to know exactly where my data is and the fact that I’m in complete control of it.
When you use programs that are “cloud” based, you are not 100% in control.
Proof of that is when people have problems when they can’t connect or the system is down.
(once again, you’re not in control)
I’ve had numerous conversations with people about it and no one has been able to prove me wrong.
But hey, that’s just me. Some people are ok with someone else being in control.
(now I’ll get down from my soapbox)
As far as Picsender goes, I first started out using UGS but ran into problems with it.
Most likely my own fault as a newbie because there are so many people that use it all the time with great results.
'Did some research and decided on picsender and never looked back.
It’s a great program and John Champlain is also a very helpful person should you have any issues.

1 Like

Haha. That’s pretty much a case of look left or right and find something that’s better than Easel. It’s the most basic and limited-capability carving software out there.

I think the only things I ever use Easel for other than as a G-Code sender are a skim cut for flattening the wasteboard and if I ever need a quick 2D simple shape as a jig for something in the shop, like a radius corner or an inside square for a router jig. Anything that’s faster than sitting down with a real CAD/CAM software.

V-Carve is a simple as using Easel, but 100x more capable. Do that. And then Fusion360 is free and gets you into real design parameters for complex models.

Thanks for your insight! I had wondered whether using Picsender would resolve the connection issue that we read about frequently. I’ve had a couple of instances and found it very annoying!!!
Like you, I’m somewhat of a control freak and do like the idea of having control of the data my VCarve designs and toolpaths yield, so lately I have only been using Easel as a Gcode sender.
I will now have a serious look at Picsender.

For what it’s worth, I just finished a small project with 3 bit changes and toolpaths. I imported each toolpath’s Gcode file into Easel, ran it where upon completion it was saved as a workpiece in the Easel project. I then flipped my material around (I was making 2 pieces), and rather than go through the import Gcode step a second time, I just hit Carve on the Easel workpiece , followed the Easel prompts and ran it a second time. Worked great!!! Not a huge time saver, but something I had been curious about.

1 Like

Press the pause on the X-Controller, turn off & unplug the router, switch the bits, plug everything back in & continue.

Of course if you didn’t fully insert the first bit then that makes this a bit more tricky…

I assume you are referring to the plastic band on the shanks?
Can you rely on those to all be at the same distance from the tip?
I would think not.

…what?

Do not follow this procedure for bit changes between carving stages. Each stage should be specifically designed for one bit - you shouldn’t have to “pause” the X-Controller between bit changes. Also, you should re-zero the Z axis after each bit change (as @MarkA.Bachman points out, the distance from collar to tip is not the same between all bits).

4 Likes