Lost. So Lost. How do I cut this BASIC drawer face?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. How do I cut the piece (pictured below) in one go? I figured this was the most basic thing to cut… but I cant seem to get Easel Pro to understand what I am trying to accomplish.

What format is this design in?

When working with Easel, you have to think in terms of subtraction, rather than addition like a 3D printer.

If I had to recreate it, I’d have a few layers of basic shapes. One layer would be the main outline, which is cut all the way through as an outline.

Then there’s a layer that’s the depth of the dados and rabbets. You can either make a shape that represents the grooves, set to the rabbet depth, or you can make 2 layers, a solid one as the depth and individual boxes representing the top.

One trick/tidbit that I recommend is making the rabbet depth shape a little bigger than the final drawer size, and having the outline path above the rest of the shapes. It’s not intuitive design, but this ensures clean cuts, rather than leaving little bits all over.

Here’s a screenshot of a simple setup I mocked up to show the second scenario:

You can also open the project to see how I did it.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point as to how to make your drawer. You might find it easier to design the file in a better vector program, export it as SVG, and import it into Easel. Easel’s boolean operations leave something to be desired.

2 Likes