Machine path for angled cut in Fusion360

I’m attempting to cut a face at an angle from a sheet of 12mm plywood using an 8mm end mill. I realise that this is not the best cutter to use for the job but for what I want it should produce a good enough cut.
The problem I have is defining a toolpath that will cut beyond the boundary of the model but only in one direction, i.e. on the waste side. I can define the toolpath to cut the face but because it won’t cut outside the boundary of the model, the cut stops well short of the thickness of the ply.
2020-02-18 21_26_48-Autodesk Fusion 360 (Personal - Not for Commercial Use)

I don’t know to much about fusion but could you set that up with the appropriate vbit and cut the angle with it?

1 Like

@ClintonKilner Can you share the Fusion file? There shouldn’t be much to it.

You could draw your model as a thicker material. This would make the angle surface wider. You would need to elevate your work with a sacrificial layer or have it cut into the wasteboard though.

Fusion file of bluetit nest box here.
Titbox 2018 v40.f3d (695.0 KB)

Start by drawing a rectangle on your part that includes your slope + half the end mill.

Change your Geometry settings in CAM to use your newly created rectangle. Center on boundary for tool containment.

That should be it!

Brilliant! Thanks. Just the job.

1 Like