Machine won't move

Something very close to this just happened to me. I googled the issue and it instructed me to delete the UniversalGcodesender.json file and universalgcodesender.properties file at C:\Users\YourComputerName. It’s all working for now.

1 Like

@AllenMassey when you boot up again is the port number changing?

I removed all the files associated with UGS and then Easel was able to open the port. Thanks for that suggestion Don Despain!

Not sure I understand why or how that fixed it, since UGS was closed and should not have been doing anything to the port. But I am not going to argue with success.

I don’t know much about windows 8.1 but it sounds like it was running in the background.

I don’t know either but I think it has more to do with Java conflicting with Windows and UGCS. Thank Google!

Now that you mentioned it we did have another customer that updated Java and then everything worked again.

Sorry for the late response. I’ve been on travel and haven’t been on the site in a few weeks.

Yes, I did get my machine working. I reflashed to Grbl 0.9i and use USG 1.0.8. I have not tried Easel since but at the time I was not able to get it to work. I would get to the pop-up that would ask what COM port the Shapeoko was connected to but it wold never give me a prompt to connect but only ask which port it was.

Entering the COM port will automatically trigger Easel to connect.

It never did that when I tried. I would select the COM on the drop down but nothing would happen. I haven’t tried Easel since but I’ll try it again this weekend to see if I get better luck.

Sorry what do you mean dropdown? The COM field is just text where you need to just enter the number. Are we talking about different things?

hope i can help with the “Error: alarm lockerror”.
my solution to that is
disable homing,
disable softlimits

disconnect
then
reconnect.

hope it helps. it work for me all the time.

i dont hard limit switches installed yet, just playing with $$ until im fully familiarize with the settings

I’m having the same problem. In UGS it shows that the machine is moving, but it isn’t. What can I do?

Depends.

That UGS indicate operation means that UGS can see and communicate with the controller board.
This mean the problem is between the controller board and stepper drivers. (lack of power to the drivers?)

What kind of machine do you have?

I have a Shapeoko 3 with a Sparkfun ROB-13899 circuit board. Tonight I’m going to try and reinstall the arduino program, hopefully this will work.