Main door misaligned

I have just received my Carvey. Machine arrived in good condition. Very impressed with the packaging and the user experience out of the box. Up and running in no time.

Build quality appear quite good however the main door is not aligned. Very disappointing. It is misaligned so much that it rubs when opened and there is a significant gap on the left side when the main door is closed. Circa 4mm, enough for waste material and noise to exit . Have others experienced this? It is resolvable?

The instructional videos show that the door has two gas struts to lift the lid. Mine only has one. (on the side that is out of alignment)

Contact Inventables they can help.

I reached out to inventables. I got a prompt, ‘let me speak to our engineers’ response. Which was nice.

However that was over a week and a half ago. Despite chasing them up I’ve not heard anything more.

Very disappointing, hopefully it is not a indication of their general support level.

Thats very odd.
They are usually on it the next day.

Update - just received an update from the Inventables team with apologies that they have been busy with the holidays. hopefully we can resolve it quickly.

I have the same issue on my unit. Just like in one of the photos you uploaded, the sealing foam tape is squashed and has been displaced from its original position, revealing the double sided tape mounting it to the unit. The unit is no longer fully enclosed and does not close properly due to the misalignment.

I have the same issue you’re describing. Guess I’m going to need to contact them.

Update - Inventables replaced the machine. Very Happy. The door fit is much better than the original. Not perfect but acceptable.

Hello all,

I just received my new Carvey. It’s a beautifully engineered machine. However,
I too have an out of aligned door pushed to the right and pinching the top foam seal and ripping it off of it’s adhesive. I contacted Inventables customer support and they were very helpful. I questioned why my unit only had one gas spring strut on the left side instead of the left and right that can be clearly seen in photos. Their answer was, engineering made the decision to remove the right gas spring strut to gain an extra 0.5" travel in the X axis. I stated that I thought removing the right gas spring strut was allowing the left gas spring strut to push the cover sideways to the right. Hence causing the alignment problem. To my surprise, engineering agreed with me and said they would send free of charge replacement gas spring struts and a new foam seal as long as I excepted the fact that I would be loosing 0.5" in the X axis. I told them I would gladly give up 0.5" X axes for the door to be aligned. The above is very telling of what a great company Inventables is. In my opinion, it’s a rare thing for a company to be that honest and straight forward about an issue biased on an engineering decision that helped on one end but created other issues on the other. So, don’t worry about any issues you may have. Inventables has your back.

Reg

Hi all,

Came across this thread because I was having the same issue with the original post. The strut of the Carvey is shot, and was pushing one side with greater force that it broke the hinge. I was able to get a replacement hinge with info from this thread Broken hinges and gas strut

I was looking for a replacement strut, the Inventables support site has a link to a 3rd party supplier that has the strut for $35, plus shipping and tax. The downer is that the lead time for it is about 3-4 weeks, since it’s a custom part.

I want to share few “off the shelf” (Amazon) parts that let me replace the broken strut and have an extra one to be installed on the other side. All of this for about the same price of one custom strut, but takes 2 days (with prime shipping).

These are the parts:

• 1 pair of 16in struts (B08JLXL3XR) There are other 16in struts product that came with ball studs, but the tread part seems to be a little longer than the original ball studs.
  • 4 Ball Studs (B07Z8LB65B)
  • 2 Gas Spring End Fitting (B07CMZQL1D)

Please search Amazon for those product numbers above, I am not able to post links at the moment.

These are the steps to replace/install the new struts:

• Take off the plastic end fittings from the new struts
  • Take both end fitting from the original struts (kinda tough, I needed to use 2 pliers to grab the arm and the end fitting and twist them opposite direction)
  • Install the original end fitting on the skinny side of the new struts
  • Install the 2 new Gas Spring End Fitting to the gas side of the new struts
  • Take off plastic cover of the hole for the ball studs on the side that did not have strut
  • Install the 4 new ball studs (hint: you can take off the old ball studs using the small wrench for changing the bit, you might also need a needle nose plier to turn the ball studs, as the space is a little tight for the wrench)
  • Install the struts back to Carvey, making sure to install the bigger (gas) side towards the lid.

1 Like

Thank you for this update! I have a Carvey and my gas struts are fine so far. When I have to replace them this will be so useful.

Putting Amazon USA links in a reply to help other folks find these parts:

OTUAYAUTO 16 inch Gas Strut - 125N/28Lbs Universal Lift Support - C1608941 Gas Shocks for Tool Box Shock, Camper Shell Shock, Truck Cap Strut, Cabinet Gas Strut, RV Door Strut

Travay 4 Pack 10mm Ball Studs 5/16-18 Thread x 1/2" Long Shank for Universal Lift Support

uxcell Gas Spring End Fitting M6 Female Thread 6mm Round Handle Dia A3 Steel 2pcs

k.