Making an X-carve longer I need a 4 to 5 foot long machine

Is there any way to lengthen one axis on an X-carve? I would like to have a machine that could handle up to 4 or 5 foot long. Almost all my work is sign making, a hobby only and enjoy giving away projects.

Thank you.

Inventables used to sell a longer y axis rail that would. I want to say it was 1800mm. Though I’m not sure. It doesn’t really matter though since they’ve taken it off the site. Not sure why.
I have wanted to do this(extend the size) as well. Right now all we can do is tile the tool paths. Which works well once you’ve got it down. Allot of trial and error.
I use a thin 3’ guide(strip of hardwood) to secure along y axis, then dowels to mount the workpiece.
There are alot of expert on here that have posted how to’s and I’m sure would be more than happy to explain the process alot better than me.
If you extend yours, be sure to share with us.

You can purchase the aluminium rails to extend the length of your xcarve from a third party, or you can tile the workpiece, as Sam has suggested.

If you don’t want to modify your machine, here is a video on how to tile: How to Carve a 72" Long Project on a 30" CNC - YouTube

1 Like

This stuff on regular extrusion would get you 59 inches in length. I’d imagine some precision washers and regular extrusion would be needed to get it to line up like the x carve rails. Might be worth a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PDTech-2040-20x40-T-slot-Vslot-Frame-Aluminum-Extrusion-Cut-48in-72in-1-8m-US/254177102792?hash=item3b2e22cbc8:m:mn0pjGflgd3tErbh-aZtrCQ