? Making projects with different size bits / fonts?

I’m going to do a project that involves making several tags approx size 60mm x 40mm. I was going to use a larger size bit to cut the shapes out of ply and a smaller bit for the writing. My questions are:

1. whats the best way / procedure to set easel up to do a double cut like this and change the bit half way through the job process.

2. the fonts are to bulky in easel for such a fine project, my bit is from the set sent with the x-carve ( 1/32" cutter). am i just better buying a different bit or is there a way to get the font on but just do a single cut pass so that its readable and does not merge together.?

thanks for any help guys!

Check this thread for two-stage jobs

For tiny fonts, I use different V-Bits…depending on how tiny. I have 1/8" v-bits that are 10°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°. These do not have to be V-Carved with special software, but can be carved with Easel.

You will have a hard time using the 1/32" bit on fonts that fit into a 60 x 40 mm area, unless you are only talking 1 or 2 characters.

I have done multiple cuts on Easel.

For each step had to do a separate code and download the G-Code to a file.
Once I have all three steps, I would process on the UGS.

Might be an easier way, but I couldn’t find one.

The best way to do what you need is to break your Easel project into two separate projects. Draw the box and the lettering first in one project and rename it (with a name like my project - small bit) to create the first bit size file then copy it and rename it with a name like “my project - large bit”

Then you can set the depths of the lettering in the “small bit” file to the depth you need and leave the depth of the outline box at zero (so it does not cut)

Then edit the “large bit” file to change the depth of the lettering to zero and the depth of the profile cut for the box outline to the depth of your material.

Then zero at the lower left of the material and run the small bit file. When it is done change your bit and be sure your zero is in the same exact X/Y at the lower left of the material (with the new bit zeroed to the top of the material) and run the large bit file.

This will work much better than trying to use the rough/detail option for letters and profile cuts.