Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

Btw, this is not some random ebay hat. It’s from Protoneer, NZ. They’ve been in the game for a while now and were among the first official sponsors of GRBL (as were Inventables).

This is a nice alternative to Gshield, but does not compete with the X-Controller or Phil’s setup, as the drivers max at 2A.

UDAPTE:
Now this I was not aware of. They started making a conversion board for connecting external drivers!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pololu-Socket-To-External-Driver-conversion-board-/272511745429

This allows for a very neat and compact solution if you use a RPi:
RPi+ATmega328P hat+driver board+external drivers

The first 3 components are the size of a deck of cards and there’s no need for an extra computer. Bookmarked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

start adding up how much (real cost) of all the parts you would need for something with all the features… say like Mach 3 ($150) controler board (Arduino+breakout board) ($100=) a computer … with the masso you have a fanuc controller/computer which the shop I work at just spent like $8000 to replace one of our Hi-Control systems. That’s not that much more then what the x-controller cost. But the x-controller is limited to just 2.5 axis.

Easel as CAD is 2.5D only, the Xcarve hardware is 3D capable.

x-carve is considered a 2.5 axis… you don’t have true direct control of the z-axis… ie speed, direction, and rotation. for example a true 3 axis would be able to do a tapping cycle like G84 and such.

And if one really need to tighten the budget a little the screw shield can be omitted :wink:

2 Likes

+1. This rocks.

I even bought a new power supply and Arduino and it was still super cheap.

I already had the xcontroller, but I’ve done so many upgrades that short of that and 2 pieces of Y rail I had a whole second machine, so I’ve built this controller, buying the needed extrusion and will be giving the original machine to my father along with a jtech laser. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did have the original x-carve. And I remember all the trouble and time I had in setting it up and getting everything running. I then upgraded to the x-controller after the motor shield stopped working after about a year. I have also gone the way of Mach 3 and the motor controller/ buildyourowncnc.com board setup that was a pain and ended up being a lot more expensive then everyone said.
last weekend in a few hours we converted our micro mill @ my local makerspace to a cnc using a masso and we had it running a warm up cycle a lot quicker then it took me to hook up the x-controller. and with the x-controller I still havnt figured out how to get the spindle control using digital logger.

the other thing… having all the imputs and outputs to be able to set up a control panel and control things like coolent, and other things … figure you could do that with the Arduino but then you would have to know how to program those inputs/outputs (change the sketch).

got a link to how to wire up a relay?

Wiring to the Xcontroller is simple. I have 2 IOT relays connected to mine that control my Dewalt and my shop vac.

For just the Dewalt: Connect SPINDLE to one input of the relay control and connect GND to the other input. Tell Easel you have automatic control, and it works.

Thanks for bringing this up John. I am looking into the process of building my own controller, but since the Masso doesn’t need a PC it might be a better route for the money :+1:

Interesting device, but you would think that for $500 the user interface could use a mouse.

I believe the next version will support touch screen, but yes, not being able to support a mouse is the only thing so far that I don’t like. Not a deal breaker as they are constantly upgrading it so maybe soon. Wi-Fi is also coming soon.

I started a thread about how I am thinking about using this (with external drivers) to power my machine.

I will edit this with the link to that thread
here it is

1 Like

the imputs would let you build a simple button box to control functions, you can also us a pendent and an ps/2 controller

yup… this is for questions about The Demon! its a great and informative thread so let not cloud it up with other controller info… keep it pure people.

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Could you show how you wired your relay to control the router? Which pin on Arduino does the relay connect to?

I plan to use this relay. I have used it with Arduino in the past to control my TV Lift Cabinet.

One relay would be for Router and the other would be for Vac.

I see. So, ultimately, the Pin 11 (PWM) on Arduino is what controls the Router.

In your drawing, I didnt understand how this controls your Spindle terminals which seem to control the IOT relay. Does your PS have built in terminals for PWM & Spindle?

I am also assuming if its Dewalt 611, there is no speed control. Only On/OFF, right?

Thanks.

Phil or anyone considered using these or similar limit switches? They seem to have the RC filter built in.

Phil,

I will be doing a similar conversion/upgrade, any chance you will/have an updated wiring schematic based on your original?

BTW great work on you enclosure!

1 Like

I noticed a few members suggested corrections/changes to your first posting of the schematic. I didn’t notice a revised version and was wondering if you updated the diagram. My apologies if you have and I haven’t seen it.
Jim