Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

Phil,

Here are a few examples:

LarryMFeb 9
You have a typo in Y2AD micro-stepping switch settings.

Might as well go ahead and hook up A4 while you’re at it.

Looks good.

3 Replies

That was the only one I could find…

I noticed the comment, just not the update to the schematic, also I noticed in the schematic you don’t show the shield wiring with the capacitors.

Ok,

Thanks!

1 Like

Possible danger label upgrade that’s more in the spirit of the demon CNC…

3 Likes

I have one of those lol
18698411_1673429096018301_6722927862965493424_n

6 Likes

Page is looking good Mr. @PhilJohnson

1 Like

@PhilJohnson, thanks for the consolidation of the Demon controller on your website! Mine is almost ready to go! I 've got to increase the wire size on the steppers power wires, I used 16 ga and I see where you recommend 12 to 14, easy fix hope to build my box and mount to the wall this weekend!

5 Likes

Thank you Sir!

1 Like

Phil, first off thank you for making this available to the community! You the man! Would you mind posting a picture of your power supply and IOT relay setup? I don’t see them in your enclosure. Did you use the inventables power supply PCB interface or wire directly to the power supply?

I have visited your BCC Demon page, yes. Thanks for the pics!

1 Like

CNC Demon. Stupid auto correct!

1 Like

I purchased a shapeoko 2 a few years ago and have subsequently upgraded to the x carve v1. I have a different power supply hence the questions and request for pics. I upgraded to nema 23 motors, which are working ok with my shield, but I am in dire need of a more powerful controller. This is just what I need, and within my budget too, even with a new power supply! Thanks again.

1 Like

Hey @PhilJohnson I was re-reading this post again when about post 170 my head started to hurt. Is there a reason you didn’t put the power supply in the same case as the rest of the parts? or was it that you already had it mounted and why mess with it?

1 Like

That is kinda what I thought you had said before but couldn’t remember for sure. Because I will be running a Raspberry Pi… I am not sure how easy it will be to completely separate… maybe I will run them together on a temp mount and go from there.

1 Like

I was hoping to put everything in one enclosure is there a way to shield between them such as a metal divider? Isn’t the factory setup DC components mounted right on top of the AC power supply? How would that be any different?

It mainly depends on the quality of the power supply. A good power supply will not interfere. Case in point, the Arduino and gShield mounted directly to the power supply.

@PhilJohnson ran into the worst case of electrical noise/interference that I’ve seen in a long time, hence the caution on his part in separating the AC and DC components.

1 Like

So your saying it should be ok in the same box with some space between the AC side and DC side? I currently have the power supply with arduino and gshield mounted on top and my IOT right next to them and have not had any issues. I did however learn the hard way that my garage mini fridge sharing an outlet with my PC will cancel a carve if it kicks on so I must turn it off prior to running the machine.

Maye if you made a tin foil hat for your Demon to wear?

1 Like

Yes.

Consisting of? just a metal divider?