Making your own powerful Controller on the cheap side

Great to hear. In my case, I have the newer steppers with the permanently mounted gear sprocket. I’d have to buy new gears and if I do that, I might as well upgrade to the GT3 sized belts. Hey, it’s only money right?? :wink:

1 Like

If you have two coils of wire that have the same current flowing through them, the coil with the larger number of turns per inch will produce a more intense magnetic field.

2 Likes

Look at coil resistance, Inductance and amps.

Pin A0 can be wired to the E-stop Switch which should trigger Pin 8.
Pin 8 (Stepper Enable/Disable) should be wired up to the ENA-(ENA)
This will place the steppers in a mode where you will be able to move the gantry and halt all motion.

I have not hooked up a probe to determine the output but I will and post my findings.
This will allow the ability for a E-stop and it does not require you to shut off power.

pin A0 is the abort pin BTW
Well I will post my findings for those who are interested. :slight_smile:
I have those TB6600 modules and plan on doing similar to what you are doing.
I just need to get the rest of the electronics and wire.

2 Likes

The schematic you posted for the drivers you have the enable pins grounded. That pin can disengage the drivers which will allow you to move the gantry. So if you wanted a button to do just that I suppose you can. You will have to realign/home the system if used.
:smiley:

ok I am not asking you to change it. :stuck_out_tongue:
There are others that may be interested in doing it different.

1 Like

I have a switch on the front of my case that disengages the motors. I have really only used it a few times.

I wish this thread would stop getting bumped…

Im struggling to fight the urge to go a similar route. In fact, I was looking at some closed loop steppers with encoders last night…

Must stop spending on tools

1 Like

Lol. I just rebuilt my machine so I’m afraid I’m in the upgraders gang.
I replaced the gantry with openbuilds 40x40 and openrail, linear z axis, and solid axles on the x carriage v wheels with eccentric spacers all round.

Postage on the one piece x axis to the UK made it a non starter, but I’m very happy with the route I have taken.

Upcoming mods will be gaining more z height, building a controller setup similar to Phils, and replacing the motors and belts with beefier items.

I’ll then use the stock motors and gshield on a seperate machibe for my jtech laser.

I already have a million other jobs to do, but I’ve got a problem lol.

I’ll join the “why stop spending on tools” support group!

1 Like

I need to eat sometimes

1 Like

The start of the thread should have a warning that states "This thread may contribute to feelings of inadequacy! Continue at your own risk. "

1 Like

The only mod on my system is the y axis plates.
I have not had the cash to do the Z axis and some of the other mods I want to do.

Perhaps we should start a “stock x-carve owners anonymous” thread or face book page ?

I have a simple mantra “If it is working and doing what you want, dont mess with it!”

“Form follows Function” :+1:

1 Like

hello sir, please i am joining this forum today, i very new to building cnc DIY machine. but i have passion for building one. i am being sponsored by my the company i work with and any mistake i make affects my salary.
sir i am from Nigeria i ordered some CNC components on ebay, which are arduino uno, cnc shield 24v power supply, a4988 pololu stepper driver nema 17 stepper motor. after mounting everything and connected the arduino to my system and uploaded some commands using the arduino ide 1.8 version, i observed that the stepper motor was just shivering until i touch the head of a4988 pololu heat sink or move my hand closer to the chip that is when the motor starts rotating. pls sir i am tired of this mess i need your candid advice

yes i did but the problem still persists.
how do i start a new thread?

sir if i will need to probably get another driver, because i want to bring up to industrial machine level. and also can voltage fluctuation affects it. also is 24volt power supply recommended for the project because i had to step it down to 12v using voltage regulator (7812). could be the reason?

ok thaks