Masking Suggestions

Hi everyone. I am making some clocks that I paint and then coat the face with an epoxy resin. It makes for a very smooth and polished finish.I have been trying to use oramask for masking so I can paint the lettering when it’s done like I have with wood projects. The oramask is really sticking hard to the epoxy finish and leaving residue which makes cleanup extremely difficult and time consuming. Has anyone found a better masking to use or have any suggestions? PS the epoxy has cured three to four days before I mask and carve. Thanks in advance. Jason

oramask makes a number of different types of masking, specifically for use on different materials. Selecting a different version will likely result in the desired outcome… you will want to read the white papers on each version to select the one with the specs needed. I’ve never tried masking over epoxy though…

Hi Seth. Thanks for the reply! If you were going to carve letters and numbers into epoxy and then hand paint them, what would you do? I’m curious. Everyone seems to think I’m weird to mask epoxy. Some say you can wax it heavily before carving , paint the letters and numbers after carving and wipe the wax off… Have you heard of this or tried it? I wouldn’t mind avoiding the masking if I have another alternative. Thanks for your help!

I’d apply epoxy into the carved pocket of the epoxy. a syringe and small tip for detailed areas… but typically this is how multi color epoxy projects are prepared…