Maximum number of likes!?!?

It just seems to be a standard ‘feature’ of Discourse.
The higher your trust level, the more likes per day you can give. Not sure that it’s configurable without changes to the source code.

6 Likes

Ya. I can’t say @PhilJohnson should have a high trust level, despite how likable he is. Always meddling and making peoples lives easier, and now he wants to like everything? :wink:

5 Likes

I dont “like” it…

3 Likes

@PhilJohnson having a good day … :slight_smile:

10 Likes

He likes me!!! He likes me!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Every Like is sacred, every Like is good…

There should be musical smileys.

4 Likes

This is funny as hell.
Oh,wait, I can’t say that can I

3 Likes

1 Like :purple_heart: % … <- Reply

3 Likes

:grinning:

5 Likes

So how many likes a day does it take to get that msg?

3 Likes

If a Like falls in a Forest… does it really make a sound?

3 Likes

I’m trying to find out how many it takes.
I want one of those messages too…

2 Likes

if a like is liked in a forest, and no one is there to like the like,was it really a like?

3 Likes

From the Discourse FAQ page:

"We’re civilized.

Our trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers — and the most engaged community members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse."

Apparently the positive behavior encouragement is limited per day but you could flag negative things all day long…isn’t that kind of the opposite of what it should be? Shouldn’t you want unlimited encouragement and restricted flagging?

Unlimited flagging can allow for one or two members to basically ransack a community by flagging way too much yet when we want to encourage and show support with a “Like”, we are limited?

4 Likes

6 Likes

Gosh i hope not… I’d never be able to post… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Seriously?
Reduced ability to +1 posts for ANY reason is insane.

Even if someone is a grumpy curmudgeon and has been flagged on every post they have ever made, that is no reason to limit how many other posts they can like, even if they are liking posts that others are flagging. If you are not going to limit how much trash someone can talk (by flagging others), then do not limit how much praise they can give.

3 Likes

The responder speaks of trust and building up a self regulating forum and then explains why he/she thinks they need to be a dictator.

5 Likes

So what happens if, say, a moderator wound up getting a large number of flags on their posts? Would they be restricted from moderating until their “trust level” was brought back up? Who would review their posts to see if they were erroneously flagged? If this is to be a “self policing community”, then how does the community get to police the moderators?

I am not familiar with the flagged content that would have gotten Phil flagged, but given the amount of helpful material he has posted on the forum directly relating to the X-carve, reducing his trust level based upon flagging (for gun pics? as a project?) seems sketchy at best.

3 Likes

Hi All,

All flagged posts are reviewed by the Inventables team and then we either agree or disagree with the flag. Users are able to flag posts but they don’t stick if we determine they are not valid. I told Phil I would review all of his recently flagged posts and if there were any that were unfairly flagged or not removed when they should have been we will correct them. Simply posting a picture of a gun is not eligible to be flagged unless the image or accompanying post/content/text/other imagery in anyway violates the forum guidelines.

The trust level dropping once a user hits a certain amount of flagged posts is a function of the discourse forum platform we use. We could opt out of their defaults but generally they are in place for a good reason. We will work on improving the visibility in to your user status. Ultimately the forum guidelines that we have posted are the measure. If you have suggestions or feedback on those guidelines we will definitely listen and consider them. Here are the general guidelines again for anyone who has not had a chance to review them:

#0: The forum is a place for our awesome community to discuss and share maker projects, tools and resources with a focus on Inventables products.
Please note that, while the Inventables team periodically reviews and responds to messages on this forum, we are unable to reply to every thread. If you are seeking help from Inventables directly please contact us through our support center.

#1: Always be civil and respectful in your discussions with other forum members.
Please remember that another human is on the other end of every comment. Bullying, ad hominem attacks, intimidation, and any other unpleasant behavior will not be tolerated.

#2: Keep it clean.
Obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or bawdy language, pictures or video are not necessary or relevant to the discussion. We want to foster an environment where all users feel welcomed.

#3: Don’t Feed The Trolls!
Don’t engage users who are posting inflammatory comments or breaking rule #1. Flag any such comments/posts using the convenient button to the lower right side of each comment.

#4: Respect those less experienced than yourself.
Though certain aspects of carving may seem obvious to you now, remember that CNC is a vastly complicated topic with many ins and outs that are not obvious to everyone. If someone asks a question that seems redundant, point them in the right direction for an answer.

#5: Search for answers before asking a new question.
If you’re having trouble with your machine or software, there’s a good chance that someone else had the same problem in the past. Many solutions to common problems can be found in our support center and many others have been addressed on the forum in topics and FAQs. Searching existing answers keeps threads tidy and improves the overall experience for navigating the forum. If you’re still stumped, feel free to make a new topic. Remember that Rules #1-4 take precedence over this, so kindly redirect anyone who is making a superfluous post.

This list is by no means exhaustive, but intended as a guide for keeping discussion on the forum as constructive and friendly as possible. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch

2 Likes