Meet Sam-Bo

A few details about my X-Carve set-up with a G540.
It has a 48V power supply (50V is the maximum that the G540 will support) and is connected to an (old) HP computer via a parallel port. I use Linuxcnc as the control software but Mach 3 will do if you prefer a Windows based solution.
There’s no tuning to select the correct current for the motors, that’s done via a single, fixed value resistor for each driver. The only adjustment is for mid-band resonance which shows up as a ‘growling’ at low speeds. With the motors running at low speed, you adjust a pot until the noise goes away, no guesswork or measurement.
It runs very well, quiet, fast - much faster than the X-Carve is mechanically capable of.
As far as running the G540 from Arduino/grbl, all you need, as suggested previouasly, it to connect the right pins from the Aduino to the Gecko.
I’m currently building a very simple interface box to do this, see this thread. Running the X-Carve via grbl with a Gecko G540 controller
Not tested as yet, still working on a new spoil board setup.

EDIT: Just saw @LarryM’s latest post with the parallel port wiring. Here’s the connections the G540 expects. Manual available here.

1 Like