Milling rubber?

Hi. I hand cut large rubber stamps for wallpaper fabrication (24" x 24") and am looking into an X-Carve machine to do the job. Does anyone have any experience using the X-Carve or other CNC machine to carve silicone sheet rubber? The linoleum available on Inventables.com, under the stamp making materials section, is too stiff.
Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

I think it would work better to machine a mold in machinable wax and then pour liquid silicon into that. There are some good articles online that cover the process.

There is another post on making stamps I think they are using vinyl or something. Seems to work pretty well. Should be perfect for what you want

Best for that is a laser engraver

We have feeds and speeds for rubber on the Shapeoko wiki: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

From the forum posts: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

Was interested in trying rubber for stamp making. Used a 1/8 Upcut and placed the rubber piece in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Turned out okay, but want to test other types of rubber and bit speeds to fine tuner.

1 Like

@BlaineBryson, curious how your testing went with this. I’m looking to do something similar, more of a ‘make your own gasket’ type of project with rubber cut-outs versus facial carving. Would love to hear how your testing went.