My DIY-carve

First part done, at least the first attempt on it. Not perfect nor without flaws but this have been my most elaborate Fusion 360 design / carve to date so learned a ton :slight_smile:

Main roughing have been with 6mm 1F bit with a MRR of 5cm^3 per minute

6 Likes

phew how long did that one take to cut?
nice work!

Actual carve time probably somewhere close to 3hrs, a lot less than time spent at the computer :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you, this is however probably one of the more easy parts to machine - but the obvious place to start :slight_smile:

Other parts I should be able to machine is:
Intake fairing
Compressor top cover
Cutting the sheet metal for the combustion chamber
Rest is outsourcing shat/shaft housing, plumbing/spotwelded/tweaking and re-tweaking, bang head against wall, try again etc :wink:

Ideally most of the parts should be done on a lathe, but with no access to one I use what I got :slight_smile:

Nice.

What 3D toolpaths did you try? Looks like 3D contour on the perimeter between the fins.

I’m also interested in how you dealt with setup and flipping. Cases like this can make you very creative when it comes to workholding.

You are correct :slight_smile: The main strategies that I used was :
2D Adative for clearing the center section + 2D Contour for finishing
2D Contour for the overall outside diameter pocket, where 6mm was used to clear and 3mm was used to cut the silouette of the diffusor.
3D Contour on the radius between the wedges. This is where I made my biggest flaw, resetting Z 1mm to low before that op :wink:

Since this was a 2 sided project I CNC’d a 10mm hole straight through the billet, then did a 10mm hole into the spoil board. A 10mm drill bit was used to keep it centered. Clamps was used to hold the diffusor securely as all the backside milling was done well inside the overall diameter.

Its been quiet on my CNC for a little while but a update forced itself upon me. The gantry have been a weak link, being way to flexible. With the added mass of the epoxy/sand mix (about 3,6kg) glued to the backside of the gantry really helped but the flexible side plates where now forced to counter this added weight.
My Delrin block on the X-screw was getting hard to keep tight and I had a 1605-screw on the shelf for a future upgrade.

The future was yesterday when I wanted to carve a simple 1,6mm acrylic plate and the small holes were a little lopsided, the X was dragging a bit and it was obvious. Main culprit here was the Delrin block used.

So - out with the ACME screw and insert 1605-500mm screw.
I also doubled the side plates with 21mm particle board I had on hand for a quick fix.

Needed to re-calibrate the steps/mm since the ACME was 8mm/turn while the 1605 is 5mm/turn (16mm screw, 5mm pitch) but that was quick enough. My rapids needed to be derated also.

My current settings:
$110=2500mm/min (was 3000)
$120=1000mm/s^2 (was 250)
Nema 23 269oz/in @3A / 24V

As with all upgrades I have performed the next weak link appear, next out will be the Y-screws :wink:

Due to other hobby activities my CNC have been dormant for a while, autumn isnt too far off so I wanted to get ahead with my planned upgrade.

Status Quo:
TB6560 drivers (4)
Ardunino UNO (1)
Nema23 270oz (2, one for X and Z)
Nema23 140oz (2 for Y)
SFU1605-300mm ball screw for Z
SFU1605-500mm ball screw for X
ACME 500mm for Y (2)
SBR16 Supported rails, X-500mm / Y-750mm)
24V PSU (70W laptop power supply)

Since I only have 500mm ACME on Y my limit is 410mm on that axis so the first obvious upgrade will be to incorporate 750mm ball screws (2x SFU1605-750)
This will increase Y-range to 600mm or so.

I am not overall that interested in all-out speed (rapids) so I decided to stick with the SF1605 screws (16= 16mm and 05= 5mm per turn) This give me a theoretical step resolution of 0.025mm/step
With the current 24V PSU my rapids are kept at 2500mm/min. I could have gone with 1610-screws but chose not to.

The other part of the upgrade is to go for better stepper drivers and a higher voltage PSU
I have 3x Leadshine DM556 on order (one on hand, totalling 4), these can take 50V input and better matched to my new 48V PSU.

This will mainly achieve two things:
Higher torque rating at speed
Increased rapids / acceleration rates possible.

SFU1605

True when you want the slow boat to arrive before it gets dark, you lose 1 hour of daylight per week isn’t it.
What are your plans with the frame?

We have daylight for about 18hrs at the moment (Sunrise-Sunset) which will drop down to like 5hrs in December. I am in the southern part of Norway and up north they have midnight sun at the moment (and 2months with no sunrise in the winter…)

This week alone we loose 20 minutes of sunlight :wink:

I am torn between making a complete new bed or adapting the existing one. The gantry will probably be kept as-is untill I find time to redo that one aswell.

Very interested/attracted to the idea of using epoxy/aggregate, not sure I can cope with the weight :sweat_smile:
The footprint => base weight of 95kg, with nothing attached, gantry or otherwise. I can lighten the structure some by making a hole in the middle,… down to like 70kg…

So with hardware and gantry 100kg easily within reach :rofl::sweat_smile:

Picked up a lot of aluminium today, about 90kg worth :sweat_smile::rofl:
50xx/60xx/70xx-series and some square profiles.

A machining company was cleaning up their surplus inventory, got a good price :slight_smile:

wow. I wish my trunk looked like that.

Looks like a Saab 9-3 Trunk

Old BMW 320D (E46)

Finally got my butt in gear, this year upgrade is based on a new controller, taking advantage of higher voltage and better stepper drivers. Also trying to improve my controller, not only aesthetically but also functionality.

Just starting laying things up, its the little things that take time…

The internals will consist of:

• Arduino UNO
  • 48V / 400W PSU
  • 4x Leadshine DM556 stepper drivers
  • 2x step down converters, to step voltage down to 12V and 5V
  • 2x relays to trigger Makita and Coolant
  • Function buttons, reset switch etc.

The case is 19mm MDF, just using something I had on hand.

2 Likes

Looks clean!

I am not done yet… :wink:

1 Like

Geez even your wiring is perfect! you should see mine LMAO

Scroll to the top to see my current controller, still no lid on it ! :wink:

this used to be my control unit :wink:

1 Like

A little progress update, 4mm acrylic used as panel plate that the aviation plugs mount onto. Also managed to solder up the motor->plug wires before family life came into play.

Through work I have access to vinyl sign printers and made silver name plates for the plugs/Arduino pin board.

1 Like