My first attempt at v carve inlays

My first attempt. It turned out better than I expected. But if anyone can tell me how to fix or better yet avoid the little gaps around the edges of some of the letters. It would be helpful. I realize that the “Richmond” is just typical chip out issue. But the others I may need to fill with a little saw dust and glue trick? I have a much bigger inlay to do in a coffee table and needed to prove I could do it before I ruined the coffee table.

What software are you using to create these?

Make sure to precisely measure your bit when selecting the bit for your toolpath, don’t assume that a 1/8th inch down cut is truly 1/8" inch. The L in Allison makes me think it’s the tool definition, as I’ve had similar issues…

yeah measure all bits to perfection, go slower for cleaner passes, and clamp as hard as you possibly can. Having 1 wood be relatively soft helps.

V carve desktop using a 60 deg. V bit. The pocket flat depth of .3" then reverse the vectors for inlay using same v bit but with starting depth of .1" and flat depth of .2" seemed to fit together well. Just little gaps.

I will re measure but I have infact made a custom tool library in my software. Having calipered all my bits and marked them. The pocket is just pine ( relitivly soft). I will try slowing down the feed rate.
Also maybe if the piece was not totally flat that may effect the depth of cut in certain spots? Ill try to deck it off with a flat bit first to get a good parallel surface.

Thanks for the tips. Should have another round of experiments to show in a week. And yes I copy that about clamping pressure. I used as many as I could I knew the thing would want to pop out if I didnt.

It is the very annoying issue :frowning:

I’m using 30 degrees V bit for inlay carving.
Tried 60 degrees and 15 degrees V-bits, but the better result I have had with 30 degrees.

1 Like

Still, for a first attempt, it came out great!

1 Like

Any links on exacly what 30 deg. Vbit to buy?

This is the best I can find but does not tell me the deg angle. I suppose I could do som Trig and figure it out.

Now I cut with (Router Bits UK | Whiteside Machine Company Solid Carbide 30º Engraving Pencil Point Router Bit SC70)
and before I was using the original 30 degrees bit from Inventables (https://www.inventables.com/technologies/solid-carbide-single-flute-engraving-bit--2).

Just ordered this. Hope it does the trick

Amana Tool 45771 Solid Carbide 30 Degree Engraving 0.005 Tip Width x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/4 Inch Long Signmaking Router Bit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UTV66M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_632cAb2YTPPEP

I guess you’ve possible already done so, but it’s well worth watching Vectrics online video on V-Inlays. It’s detailed and following it produces inlays that fit perfectly.

With regard to bits, the best bit I’ve ever used by far is this one. This one is 90degree but I’m pretty sure they have several other angles available.

I’ve used this for inlays and it’s worked really well, however it’s amazingly effective on general vcarving. Crisp clean cuts and the inserts have four different cutting faces.

I’ve cut woods, plastic and marble and they all cut really well. There’s probably various similar brands available, but I cannot recommend this type of bit enough.

https://www.toolstoday.com/p-6015-in-tech-series-insert-v-groove-router-bit.aspx