My Gear Project

I’ve been working on this for a while. I got my xcarve about a year ago and have been using Adobe Illustrator to create the SVG files and using easel to cut out the pieces.

Here’s a link to a video of it it action -

60 Likes

Very nice job!

Outstanding!

That is Cool, i guess that’s what the Wright bros thought

AWESOME! Great job

this is amazing :heart_eyes:

This is stunning!

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback! I’ve been seeing all the great projects that everybody has been doing and been a little shy to share what I’ve been working on. I’m amazed and inspired by all the projects that everybody has been working on, especially the 3D carvings. Thanks to all for the inspiration.

1 Like

Nice project Dan.

Alright, this f**king awesome…Can I say that here? anyway, I love it.

2 Likes

Dan, that’s way beyond cool! Leonardo would be proud!

You are freaking AWESOME!

Wow!

That’s awesome! It looks like you have some of Leonardo’s drawings on the base. How did you do that? Very shallow V bit and some stain or drawing by hand? If V bit, how shallow are the cuts?
PS - I’d love to see either the Illustrator or cutting files posted.

Nothing that fancy - I found some drawings on google images and resized them in Illustrator. Then just used spray adhesive, rubbed them with coffee grounds and gave it a couple of coats of water based poly. I’ll clean up the Illustrator file and upload load it later if you like.

Here’s the Illustrator file for all the parts

Complete Ornithopter 1.ai (108.6 KB)

1 Like

With some modification and the addition of a wind driven propellor this could make a fun weather vein.

WOW… I really love this… and I would love to make it with my wood shop kids. Since we have had our machine, the students have only reproduced images we can find on google. It’s quite the trick to teach 4th graders through eighth graders how to turn a simple image into something carved on X-Carve. Especially with the tight budget concerns we are working with in a public charter school. We get less funding than the traditional public schools so I do a lot of dumpster diving for materials behind the cabinet shops.

I was able to play around with gears the other day, but haven’t had much time to work on anything else. You can see some of what we have been up to here…

I downloaded the Ai file but wouldn’t even begin to know what to do with it next. Can someone enlighten me?

Mr. Bockman
Franklin Phonetic School Woodshop

Wow, that’s impressive. You used Illustrator to create the SVG files so did you engineer it in some CAD software first or did you also do all that in Illustrator and your head?

Very nice! I wish I had that kind of talent!