My Latest Carves

Can you quickly describe the finishing details. If I were to guess I’d say the wood was stained dark first, tacky paper laid on top during carve, gold paint while paper still on, then paper peeled . . . resulting in your superb image. That is how I might tackle it but if you did it different I’d like ot know.

Sprayed many coats of black because MDF drinks it up then couple clear coats let dry sand smooth one more clear after. Let dry a few days then slop on the gold metallic water based in the carved areas and wrap a block of wood in damp paper towels to wipe over the surface. Once dry a light sanding to get any missed gold then blow off good and clear again.

1 Like

Got my laser running and focused pretty well. Here is my first combo piece, vbit with flat clearance. My daughters 13th birthday is tomorrow and she had mentioned a sign she wanted, with a guitar and what phrase she wanted on it. Then I decided instead of the difficulty of painting the letters, etc I decided to give a try to lasering all the details. It worked out pretty good, and didn’t take any longer than all the painting would have, plus it was more practice and learning.

9 Likes

Finished a couple new “seasonal” acrylic engravings. They turned out every bit as good as I hoped for!

6 Likes

Here is a carve I did a couple days ago. My daughter, 13, is playing tennis for her school and wanted a scoreboard we could also use for practice at our neighborhood courts. I modeled it from a picture of one, so pretty much had to do the actual design work from scratch as far as determining proper dimensions, spacing, font, etc… It turned out really nice but still needs to be painted. The background will be white, black letters/numbers, and then the markers will be yellow for one side and green for the other. There is actually two markers for each side. The v-bit carve is also done on both sides. It is 8" wide by 30" tall on .5" birch plywood. Just have VCarve Desktop so I had to tile it - tiling is doable but a pain in the butt! Especially with multiple bit changes and two sides! :smile:

4 Likes

This is cool.

1 Like

Here’s another new acrylic engrave. For now I basically keep using the same basic profile cutout and change the design on it because I have a couple different bases made so that I can just swap out different engravings and just keep using the same base. Just swap in a new engraving that matches the current season.

6 Likes

Bamboo cutting board lasered today.

7 Likes

Another lasered cutting board and also a 3D carve of the wine barrel end. I was very happy with the results from both!

10 Likes

The barrel end is sweet!

1 Like

A wedding sign for a friend that is going to her relatives wedding in Italy this summer, they asked us to make and are paying for it. :slight_smile:
The Bible verse was so I could a test using Avery paint mask(their version like Oramask) on a beautiful piece of beli wood - last trip to Woodcraft they had several pieces with a good discount.

7 Likes

very nice work.

1 Like

New one for the wife. Seen a lot of these going around in metal but I don’t have a plasma cutter, yet…
So I figured I would make one in Beli wood.

EDIT: Just remembered I wanted to mention this as a little FYI. This project measures about 11"w by 4.75"h so several areas are fairly tight so I needed to use a 1/8" DC, but the standard 1/8" DC I have is only 1/2" CL and this piece of Beli wood is 3/4". Then I remembered I had bought a Dremel Multi purpose bit like two years ago but never used it. I found it and sure enough it is an 1/8" DC bit with approx 1" CL ! Of course I had to switch out to the 1/8" collet, but other than that this thing worked great! You obviously cannot run it super fast but I ran it at 70ipm no problem. Just wanted throw that tidbit our there that these actually worked well and best of all these are only $4.27 at the HD !

9 Likes

A couple more new ones. These were made as gifts for friends at church.

Miraculous Medal 3D Carving on Red Oak

Beli wood - vcarve using the paint mask tape

6 Likes

Here is the Boat/shelf free project from Vectric. The cut portion is not too bad but the finishing part is a bit tedious. It’s about 22" tall.

5 Likes

First layered text sign I’ve done, for my daughter and her husband.

5 Likes

New cutting board lasered this morning.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Sharp!

I need to make something like the god, bacon, guns one for my son. He would love it.

Here’s one as a gift for a family friend. Pocket with .125"EM and Vcarve with 60deg vbit, it’s 18" x 18" on HD common pine board.
My wife did all of the painting.

7 Likes